Proper steps to a water change..

Why do you remove the fish from the tank? This stresses the fish. Also, if the water temperature isn't the same you could shock him. You'd be better off leaving him in there. You're not talking about a water change of more than 25%, are you? That would be bad.

Heating the water before adding it sounds like wasted effort to me. I just warm it a bit from the tap, but even still, if you don't trust your hot water it still doesn't matter. if you put in room temperature water (say 70) into the tank water (say 80), and change 20% of the water, the temp will lower to 78. The fish can handle that kind of change, they do all the time in the wild.

It is a small (ie. 4.5 ish gallon) tank. It is filtered, but I will need to turn the filter down a lot because of a strong current. I can't turn it off fully because that will kill the bacteria. Because the filter will be lower, I will need bigger water changes. I will do about 50% daily, maybe less. So I will scoop betta up in a washed out margerine tub or similar in the aquarium water, so there will be no temerature change. I will then put water back in, let the heater kick in until it clicks off again. Then put the betta back n, gradually adding new water to the tub over 10-15 mins.

Very long winded approach, but I get very bored :)

I'm not sure why you need to do the water changes every day, even if you have the filter turned down. If you're not overfeeding once or twice a week should be sufficient, and 50% seems kind of high.

I won't be overfeeding but since its a betta I'll be feeding bloodworms 2-3 times a day, and any that he doesn't eat will polute the water.

Im sorry but you can add the water first then the clorine remover. Thats how the python works and my friend which uses it never has lost a fish in a long time.

LS1MONSTER said:
.. now my question is.. what do you think is better.. should I just stay with the tap water conditioner 1 drop for each gallon remedy or would it be a greater benifit to use the watersafe tablets that I posted a picture of?? I have both products here and I've only been using the tap water conditioner so far. :S
Hi LS1MONSTER :)

Just so you don't get confused, please read the instructions for what ever product you are using and follow the manufacturer's directions. Wardley's, for example, calls for 3 drops per gallon, but this is for US gallons. If you live in the UK, the directions might be different.

The point I was trying to make is that no matter how many drops you need, using a product that is measured by the drop is easier and more precise than using a product that tells you how much to add per 5 gallons or other measure. That saves you having to divide something like a capful, or spoonful into the proper amount for the water you will be adding. :D

Another thing about Wardley's is that it neutralizes both chlorine and chloramine, which is necessary in some areas of the world.

I do not recommend using a more complicated product such as the one you mentioned. If your tank is cycled and healthy, it's unnecessary. Why spend more money for ingredients that you do not need. :unsure:

freddyk said:
The fish can handle that kind of change, they do all the time in the wild.
But then most of the fish in our tanks have probably never been in the wild. or have they? :huh:

Once again thanks for all the advice... This has helped and reasured me that I will be making my water changes correctly now... I'm glad I signed up here. This is a great Forum.

FrAnK3333 said:
Im sorry but you can add the water first then the clorine remover. Thats how the python works and my friend which uses it never has lost a fish in a long time.
Frank3333...I disagree. I have the Python and I add dechlorinator BEFORE returning freshwater to the tank. If there is any chance of exposing fish to chlorine, why do it?? Why risk any cumulative or persistent stress to the fish with every water change? Everything I've read on the Python recommends dechlorinator first. SH

But then most of the fish in our tanks have probably never been in the wild. or have they?

True, I was expressing the idea that temperature changes are tolerable by the fishes systems - they are still the same fish. Because of the scare of changing the temperature on fish people begin to assume they can't tolerate any changes, which is completely untrue. The reason for all the warnings is for when people bring home a fish in a bag with 65 deg water and plunk it right into an 80 deg tank. They can handle slight and gradual changes without a problem.

OohFeeshy said:
It is a small (ie. 4.5 ish gallon) tank. It is filtered, but I will need to turn the filter down a lot because of a strong current. I can't turn it off fully because that will kill the bacteria.
Hi OohFeeshy, :)

Turning your filter off for 15 minutes while you do a water change won't do any harm at all to your bacteria IMO. I assume you are only doing partial water changes (15% - 20% a week is all you need to do) so the filter will still be sitting in water in your tank ( and so will your Betta, stress free.)

I am a little different because I have an external canister so my filter media remains wet throughout a water change. I do turn it off though at water changes, sometimes for up to half an hour, and have had no problems at all.

hth

steve B)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back