Proper steps to a water change..

LS1MONSTER

Reaction score
Okay this I know.. Do water 15 to 20% water changes weekly. But can anyone give me the proper steps. This is how I do mine.
remove water
fill bucket with tap water
add water to tank
add ten drops of super strength tap water conditioner
done.
But with all the reading I've been doing should I add tap water conditioner before I put the new water in the tank? Sounds better that way and if I do it this way how much conditioner do I add to my bucket? I have a 10 gallon tank with just 2 blue gouramis. :S

add the conditionner to the bucket.

if you're changing 2 gallons, add enopugh dechl;orinator for 2 gallons in the bucket, and then add the water back in the tank.

OK, your nearly there.

Im guessing your tank is heated, if so, you should really be heating the water in your buckets so that it matches the temperature in your tank. If you do not match these temperatures it can cause temperature fluctuations and it may stress your fish. Or even lead to death. (but only in sevre cases, not yours.)

Yes, do add the water conditioner BEFORE you add it to your tank. Any chlorine in your tank can harm your fish and the beneficial bacteria in your filter and substrate.

Your other steps are right, just remember to add the dechlorinator before you put the clean water in your tank and match the temperature between the new tank water and the tank conditions.

Have fun.

Its good to see you are not overstocking either!! :thumbs:

Thanks for help!... one other question.. do any of you use water safe complete water conditioner Plus beneficial bacteria tank buddies. The fizzing tablets. From Jungle Labs? It seems better that just the super strength tap water conditioner. Thanks again.

No mate, sorry to say it but ive neva even heard of what ur talkin bout, lol.
I dont use anything else but water conditioner, i think its from a company called Wardley. Thats it though, and all is fine with my guys! (or should i say, fish)

100_0360.JPG

Hi..LS1...just to let you know that many people here say to 'treat the tank' with the conditioner and not just the new water. That is, many of the people here will tell you that...instead of treating the bucket water with dechlorinator, you should treat the tank volume...if you have a 20 gallon tank, you should treat with enough dechlorinator to protect 20 gallons, not 2 gallons if you were doing a 10% water change. I change my 46 gallon FW with a Python. I used to add just enough for about 12 gallons.....now I treat the entire tank during a 25% water change. Read the posts to this that will follow mine to decide for yourself. Good luck. SH

Instead of heating the water in the bucket my figures give a really, really good idea on what temp to put in my tank which is kept at 80 degrees. When doing a water I vacuum my sand, why dont you?

I add conditioner to both the tank and bucket. Also ive seen those fizzing tablets before, never tried, but never heard anything negative about them. I bought medication for that company before and have no complaints, Im sure if you ask around you'll get an answer about them.

Hi LS1MONSTER :)

I can't see adding any more chemicals to a tank than what is needed to do the job.

For a small tank such as yours, I suggest using Wardley's because it is measured out by drops per gallon, instead of by a spoonful ( or capful, etc.) per 5 or so, gallons. It's easy enough to add the proper amount to the container before adding the water from the tap. Once it is filled, the water is ready to add to your tank. There are other brands that are measured this way too, and I find it a big convenience.

Never add the water first and the chemicals after it. The chlorine in the tap water is likely to kill your beneficial bacteria before you can remove it. That is why they add it, after all. :D

steelhealr said:
Hi..LS1...just to let you know that many people here say to 'treat the tank' with the conditioner and not just the new water. That is, many of the people here will tell you that...instead of treating the bucket water with dechlorinator, you should treat the tank volume...if you have a 20 gallon tank, you should treat with enough dechlorinator to protect 20 gallons, not 2 gallons if you were doing a 10% water change. I change my 46 gallon FW with a Python. I used to add just enough for about 12 gallons.....now I treat the entire tank during a 25% water change. Read the posts to this that will follow mine to decide for yourself. Good luck. SH
Do you mean that you add enough water conditioner for 46 gallons every time you do a partial water change? Isn't that a LOT of water conditioner?? Especially after a few water changes? :blink:

Inchworm said:
Hi LS1MONSTER :)

I can't see adding any more chemicals to a tank than what is needed to do the job.

For a small tank such as yours, I suggest using Wardley's because it is measured out by drops per gallon, instead of by a spoonful ( or capful, etc.) per 5 or so, gallons. It's easy enough to add the proper amount to the container before adding the water from the tap. Once it is filled, the water is ready to add to your tank. There are other brands that are measured this way too, and I find it a big convenience.

Never add the water first and the chemicals after it. The chlorine in the tap water is likely to kill your beneficial bacteria before you can remove it. That is why they add it, after all. :D
Thanks for all the help everyone.. now my question is.. what do you think is better.. should I just stay with the tap water conditioner 1 drop for each gallon remedy or would it be a greater benifit to use the watersafe tablets that I posted a picture of?? I have both products here and I've only been using the tap water conditioner so far. :S

I'd use up what you have and then go ahead and just add water conditioner after that.

As far as adding water conditioner when doing partial water changes, why would you add any more conditioner than you need for the water you're replacing? In other words, if you have a 10 gallon tank and you're changing 2 gallons, why would you add conditioner for 10 gallons??? It doesn't make sense to me. I doubt it would do any harm but I don't understand the logic behind it.

Hijacking a minute but sorry :)
When I do water changes on my betta, I will remove him from the tank. So will it be OK to add dechlorinator after I've added the water, and let it heat up in the tank?

OohFeeshy said:
Hijacking a minute but sorry :)
When I do water changes on my betta, I will remove him from the tank. So will it be OK to add dechlorinator after I've added the water, and let it heat up in the tank?
If your tank is cycled, then you want to treat the water before putting it in. Otherwise the chlorine may kill the good bacteria before you get the conditioner in. If it's not cycled then it shouldn't matter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back