Problems on Guppy tank

vince82

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
PXL_20230627_124211029.jpg

One of my gold guppies (F) in my daughter's tank died tonight (or yesterday? I noticed this morning). Body wasn't chewed up so I think it was rather recent.
I proceeded to check the water and I got PH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 80ppm (ouch), TDS 400ppm.
Tank is a 15G fluval flex. A couple days ago I did a modification to the pump and replaced the corse sponge that protects the propeller with a finer one to reduce the flow. I feel there were no slow moving area where the guppies could rest within the part that is clear of plants and hardscape, and they seemed to struggle to find a place for resting.

Population:
  • 3 (was 4) Guppy F,
  • 2 Guppy M,
  • 5 pigmy cory,
  • 1 neocaridina red cherry
I did a 30% water change, making sure I'd stir the bottom at the back behind the rocks and wood, where a lot of dirt tends to accumulate, so that is why there is so much dirt on the light colored sand at the front, I'll go back later to do a cleanup.

I spent some time looking at the fish for behaviour after the water change and I noticed this one F guppy rubbing on plants. She did it repeatedly about a dozen times then stopped as soon as I took the camera out. Not sure if there is a problem or not, here is a video of her swimming and a frame from the video where you can see maybe a hump before her tail? not sure
PXL_20230627_124017451.TS_exported_98102_1687869833507.jpg

I'd do another water change. 50%. Keep doing them until that nitrate gets under control.

How long has the tank been set up?

How often do you perform water changes, and what volume do you change?

Filter cleaning schedule?

Setup for about 7 weeks, water change ~ 4G every 2 weeks.
Tank started with some ceramic media from an established filter, fish added on week 2 and 3.

I'll wait a couple hours for detritus to settle so I can remove more of it then make a second change, sounds like a good idea. If I had run the tests before the first change (instead of preparing the vials, doing the change, then doing the test on the vials I prepared), I might have done a larger change right away..

Filter cleaning schedule: non existent. This tank has a separation for a classic 3 compartment system with very abundant media that takes ~20% of the total volume. really overfiltered. My main problem here has been so far that the filter is too strong and there is too much flow.

Scoliosis maybe? Guppies are a pain in the butt 🙄

Also: my daughter who is 9 feeds this tank.
I'll watch her feeding to check if the feeds are excessive.
(she is very responsible, she can be taught and trusted with the animals)

Also: my daughter who is 9 feeds this tank.
I'll watch her feeding to check if the feeds are excessive.
Quick solution to this and to educate her on portion size....

Grab yourself one of these...

Pill Box BPA Free Weekly Pill Box Organiser Portable 7 Day Medicine Organiser with Large Compartments for Vitamins and Pills Medication Storage Box for Home and Travel- Rainbow Color (White) https://amzn.eu/d/71q2n3C

Hope the link works!

Put enough food for each day in the little compartments, it will be a novelty for her and it will help control what goes into the tank

I would start performing weekly water changes, around 40-50% of the volume...that will help with the 'trAte issue

Wait a full 24 hours between WCs and testing the water params

Dirty filters are also harbors for 'trAtes, and overfeeding certainly will cause major issues with water quality...fish don't need to eat every day, every other day or even every 3 days is adequate

I don't readily see any issues with the fish in the above video

My main problem here has been so far that the filter is too strong and there is too much flow.
Put a shut-off valve in the inlet hose and the outlet hose of the filter so that you can reduce the outflow.

Put a shut-off valve in the inlet hose and the outlet hose of the filter so that you can reduce the outflow.
I have a 80gph pump in the mail, so far my restriction has been to change some foam pad the was put as protection for the impeller from coarse to fine. It works, sorta.
The pump that came with the aquarium does not have a flow dial and it's 150GPH, way too powerful for this 15G tank.

I have a 80gph pump in the mail, so far my restriction has been to change some foam pad the was put as protection for the impeller from coarse to fine. It works, sorta.
The pump that came with the aquarium does not have a flow dial and it's 150GPH, way too powerful for this 15G tank.
Well, hopefully the new pump will arrive soon.

Yesterday I explained to my daughter that the problem could be caused by the males chasing the females and stressing them out, so she looked at it for like an hour (super cute to hear her try to tell the fishes to shoo away) and she deliberated that it has been going on way too much, so the males are now in a breeding net

Yesterday I explained to my daughter that the problem could be caused by the males chasing the females and stressing them out, so she looked at it for like an hour (super cute to hear her try to tell the fishes to shoo away) and she deliberated that it has been going on way too much, so the males are now in a breeding net
Kids have their own vision on things. And yes, it can be very adorable for sure.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back