"Priming" Filter Media Prior to Setting Up an Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If I set up the tank now and added as many plants as I can, wouldn't my husband still have to do something while I am gone, like add additional ammonia, test the water, or do a water change once Nitrate levels rise?
Nope. Without fish in he would not have to do anything. If you have lots of plants there is no need to add ammonia. You may choose to ask him to add fertiliser while you are gone. Once the plants have established and are actively growing you are safe to add fish.

You add the initial dose of ammonia before you go. He has to do nothing. When you get back test the water. If there is no ammonia or nitrate add more ammonia. If it clears within 24 hours and you have no nitrite you are done. Chances are you will still have a bit of nitrite because your cycle will only be nearly complete.
Awesome!!! I think I will do the fishless cycle with lots of plants then. I will order some ammonia now and set up the tank this weekend!! Thank you so much for your advise!! I am so glad I became a member of this Forum. Everyone is so awesome and helpful! Thanks again! :)

Ok, so I could set up the tank now with plants, start the fishless cycle by adding ammonia and testing the water, and then my husband wouldn't have to do a thing except turn the lights on for the plants in the morning and turn them off at night? So the cycle might "pause" a little, but wont stop and I can pick up where it left off when I get back?
See my last post. No need for ammonia if you do it this way (it may kill your plants if you use too much). I would get a timer for the lights. Both fish and plants benefit from a regular light / dark cycle. If you do decide to add ammonia anyway do not exceed 2ppm.

Nope. Without fish in he would not have to do anything. If you have lots of plants there is no need to add ammonia. You may choose to ask him to add fertiliser while you are gone. Once the plants have established and are actively growing you are safe to add fish.
Awesome!! Thank you so much for all of your advise!! I think I am going to go ahead and go with a fishless cycle and add as many plants as I can. I had planned on setting up a planted tank anyway. Thanks again!

See my last post. No need for ammonia if you do it this way (it may kill your plants if you use too much). I would get a timer for the lights. Both fish and plants benefit from a regular light / dark cycle. If you do decide to add ammonia anyway do not exceed 2ppm.
Ok, is that the case for a heavily planted tank, or any tank with any amount of plants? The reason I ask is because I am not sure how many plants I will be able to purchase at once in the beginning, so it might not be heavily planted to start out. I may have to add more plants as I can afford it (a few a week). I know it is better to add as many plants as you can in the beginning, but some plants can be a little expensive, and I am not sure that I can afford that for a 55 gallon tank.

I would start adding plants straight away. You say there are a few weeks before you go away, so add more as you can afford them before you go. Floating plants are among the best for taking up ammonia so make sure to include them. Once you get back check the plants to see if they are growing well, and if they are get the first batch of fish. Measure ammonia and nitrite every day to make sure they are taking up all the ammonia made by the fish. Once you are sure they are coping, get the next fish - and more plants if you need them.

Ok, is that the case for a heavily planted tank, or any tank with any amount of plants? The reason I ask is because I am not sure how many plants I will be able to purchase at once in the beginning, so it might not be heavily planted to start out. I may have to add more plants as I can afford it (a few a week). I know it is better to add as many plants as you can in the beginning, but some plants can be a little expensive, and I am not sure that I can afford that for a 55 gallon tank.
Obviously the more the better, and a single anubias won't do the trick ;) . But no it does not need to be heavily planted. If you can get some water sprite or frogbit and just throw these into the top. These grow quickly and will spread so you don't need a lot. Those are frogbit roots you can see in my signature pic.

Obviously the more the better, and a single anubias won't do the trick ;) . But no it does not need to be heavily planted. If you can get some water sprite or frogbit and just throw these into the top. These grow quickly and will spread so you don't need a lot. Those are frogbit roots you can see in my signature pic.
Ok, sounds good! I love floating plants and how the roots look hanging down into the water so that will be perfect.. I will get as many plants as I can and go for those that grow quickly like floating plants. Thanks!!

I would start adding plants straight away. You say there are a few weeks before you go away, so add more as you can afford them before you go. Floating plants are among the best for taking up ammonia so make sure to include them. Once you get back check the plants to see if they are growing well, and if they are get the first batch of fish. Measure ammonia and nitrite every day to make sure they are taking up all the ammonia made by the fish. Once you are sure they are coping, get the next fish - and more plants if you need them.
Thank you so much for the advise!!! I will definitely do all of this. :D

Ok, so I could set up the tank now with plants, start the fishless cycle by adding ammonia and testing the water, and then my husband wouldn't have to do a thing except turn the lights on for the plants in the morning and turn them off at night? So the cycle might "pause" a little, but wont stop and I can pick up where it left off when I get back?
Exactly ... it can sit unattended for the first two weeks without upsetting the cycling process

you might want to hold off on adding the plants till cycle is completed . PLants may be affected if you add ammonia.. Or have you already put them into the tank.

you might want to hold off on adding the plants till cycle is completed . PLants may be affected if you add ammonia.. Or have you already put them into the tank.
This was covered earlier in the thread

Ok, now I am confused... Sorry... No, I have not added plants yet. My tank isn't even set up yet (no water, nothing in it yet). So, when I do set it up, if I chose to add plants straight away then I shouldn't add ANY ammonia at all? If I am going to do a fishless cycle, and I add ammonia, I shouldn't do this with any plants in the tank at all? So, if I chose to add plants straight away, and decide to cycle my tank with the plants in the tank, but NO Fish, I assume that I would be adding fertilizers (either into the water and/or root tabs) for the plants, will the biological functions of the plants produce ammonia to start the Nitrogen Cycle, or would I need to have fish in the tank to provide a source of ammonia? Sorry, I am getting so many differing answers, that just as soon as I think I have a game plan, I hear something different... I really want to make sure I do this right, and in a way that will be the easiest for my husband to maintain for two weeks while I am gone.

I guess what is confusing me is that it is my understanding that if you set up a tank and there is no introduced source of ammonia (i.e. either by adding ammonia directly when cycling without fish, or by adding fish to provide ammonia when cycling with fish) that the tank will either not start cycling at all because there will be no ammonia present in the tank, or it will cycle VERY slowly. Is there something I am missing?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back