Pregnant Or Dropsy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joegwendolyn

Reaction score
hello I was hoping that someone can help me we got given 2 platys 1 male one female the female is very big I thought it was pregnant but i was looking at some photos of dropsy and they look alike I have got her in a hatchery as she looks like she is about to explode but nothing yet, was just wondering if anyone could help me out please any advice please

Attachments

• DSC01933.jpg
    DSC01933.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC01929.jpg
    DSC01929.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01927.jpg
    DSC01927.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 251
are her scales sticking out? 'pineconing'

if not then its most likely pregnant, they always are!

are her scales sticking out? 'pineconing'

if not then its most likely pregnant, they always are!

not that I can see, but she is realy round is this usual when I looked on you tube it all seemed to be just bellies lol, there is also no gravid spot or do platys not get them?? I am so confused hope you can help

is she squared off around the belly? is she calm in there or is she freaking out?

what is in your main tank? if you are worried about stressing her the just add some plants like elodea densa and lave the to float, the babies will then hide up in there, some may get eaten but she will keep having more!

is she squared off around the belly? is she calm in there or is she freaking out?

what is in your main tank? if you are worried about stressing her the just add some plants like elodea densa and lave the to float, the babies will then hide up in there, some may get eaten but she will keep having more!
she doesnt seem to move around very much, and she does look square ish lol she just looks fit to pop lol thanks for all your advice it helps to find out from someone who knows

Is it breathing harsh, is it at the surface? Looks like dropsy to me she is round not squared.

Is it breathing harsh, is it at the surface? Looks like dropsy to me she is round not squared.
hi it seems to be breathing ok, and it is just I have it in a hatchery and it seems to be near the top but when it was in the tank it was hiding behind plants at the back, I dont know what to do weather to leave it and see what happens or not, dropsy dosent spread does it and it hasnt got it in my tank as it was given to me like that,

I tried some more photos see if it helps

Attachments

• DSC01937_2.jpg
    DSC01937_2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC01936_2.jpg
    DSC01936_2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC01935_2.jpg
    DSC01935_2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 247
Yea it's pregnant sorry lol. When you see a white tube open near her bottom fins she will drop soon. I don't advise using traps it will stress fish cause then to abort even die. Try finding a better method, a larger trap or tank divider with lots of plant coverage.

Yea it's pregnant sorry lol. When you see a white tube open near her bottom fins she will drop soon. I don't advise using traps it will stress fish cause then to abort even die. Try finding a better method, a larger trap or tank divider with lots of plant coverage.
thanks for the advice I am new to this I have only had my fish for just over a month now so it is good to speak to people who know, so the best way is to watch for that tube opening I will watch out for that thanks

Np also read some of the stickies posted at thd top of this forums section :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back