Pregnant neon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowyangel

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just became an american *play dramatic music*
Here's one of my female neons. I have 4 all together(with one male). She's been like this for over a month now, eating way more then the others and swimming and socializing is normal. Water is fine and no other neon looks this chubby. From one side i can see a few faded dark dots in the belly. I dont know too much about neons when it comes to breeding so please tell me what cha think. :)
(i made a collage so i wouldnt take up alot of space with about 6 pictures of the same fish)

Attachments

• neoncollage.jpg
    neoncollage.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 35
holy crap... lol... thats a fat neon... i know they lay eggs.. thats about it lol

sorry for my useless info lol

If I m not wrong, neon tetras are not that easy to spawn, which means that you must make the conditions right (soft water, acidic, tank of their own, a few pairs). And besides, if your neon is about to lay eggs, it would do it in about 1-2 days. It wouldn't hold it for 1 month.
Don't really wanna burst your bubble, but i think your neon is just fat... :/
Sorry if i doesn't make your day, i have neons that eat too much too.

-Chewy-

Neons can lay eggs once a week.
Yes she doe's look ready.
After she layed her eggs the bottom of her stomach go's a little flat.
If you have another tank all you really need is soft water.
Put them in before you go to bed cover the tank with newspaper and turn the lights out and leave them for 24 hours.

I put mine in a large plastic bag so I can see the eggs.
But you could allway remove the gravel.

Hey

I use a water change the night before to trigger them to spawn. Adding the water cools the water a bit (like rainwater in the wild does) and then I let the heater warm the tank up a bit. I also let natural sunlight hit the tank in the morning. They go crazy.

HTH :)

neon eggs are light-sensitive and do not develop unless darkened.
Letting natural sunlight hit the tank in the morning would kill the eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back