Pregnant honey gourami!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Richy

Reaction score
I really do need some help very quickly, I've got a very pregnant Honey Gourami, problem being the male died without building a nest, I put another male with her to try to encourage her, but without any luck, she just hides in the corner & hardly moves all day, she is so big She looks likely to explode, how can I help her????

I'm not ever that bothered about the way people call things, but it sounds daft after one of my posts when members pick up on things, so all I'll say is, the fish is not pregnant, it's egg bound :p
Since the males gone, the loving feeling might have gone :(

Give them time to adjust. The female may drop the eggs, to releave her, but don't worry to much just now. Time will tell.

If she's looking really bad, keep an extra eye on her :D

The other may have some other ideas :)

Thats about covered it just to add it's only live bearers that get preggers though platys,guppies,mollies etc.
Once the male builds the buble nest he will swim round her directing her towards the nest, once under the nest he'll wrap his body around hers and as she releasies the eggs he'll cover them with milt thus fertalizing them and place them in the nest. Assumming of cousre there both up for it so to speak.

Right OK!, slip of the key - She is very egg bound, not pregnant, point taken - now if the new male is not interested in building bubble nests etc, will she be able to discharge her eggs on her own? & return to normal or is there anything I can do to help her?

Richey, the best thing to do is to let nature take it's course. Rose 8)

Richy. As The wonderful Rose said, Let things happen naturaly. I hope you have a bit better luck next time round.

Most reactions

Back