Pregnant Guppy's Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

proudfishowner2011

Reaction score
I have a question. My guppy is pregnant and for the past couple of days she will go up and down the glass of the tank repeatly. I am wondering if this is normal.

My pregnant Swordtail did this. She was fine then. Is your water quality good? I wouldn't e too worried about it, just watch her.

My pregnant Swordtail did this. She was fine then. Is your water quality good? I wouldn't e too worried about it, just watch her.

Ok. Thanks. I was worried because I read somewhere that if the fish is pacing then she is close to giving birth. When do you think she will give birth? I was totally not expecting this so I am not prepared to take care of fry. So I still have to get a big enough tank for them and everything else. I am hoping that there is enough time for me to be able to get a tank and everything.

Almost any guppy, molly or platy can be counted on to spend part of its time swimming against the glass. Some seem to favor corners of the tank and others favor the straight sides but they almost all will do it.

Almost any guppy, molly or platy can be counted on to spend part of its time swimming against the glass. Some seem to favor corners of the tank and others favor the straight sides but they almost all will do it.

Now she is like almost jumping right out of the tank. She is really moving. She is doing it faster and faster.

If I catch my Guppy having her fry I pop her into a trap, its quite obvious as the becomes very still and sometimes chills out on the heater. If I dont trap her nearly all of the fry get eaten, and she eats them. So I have to encourage the fry to swim into the bottom of the trap my disturing the water near them.

My swordtail I never catch dropping her fry,she always does it at night, she swims eratically to avoid being harassed by the male fish. I know when she is going to have them, but if I trap her she jumps out.

My Molly, just drops them when behaving normal.

So you can see different fish behave in different ways, not because they are different breeds just coz they do.lol! You will get the hang of it. You may not have time to put the fry into a new tank but fry usually float to the surface or hide in plants, so try floating plants on the top of the water for them to hide in. Get a small breeding trap and you can easily keep the fry in there for several weeks as they are tiny. It is amazing how many can get eaten very quicky by mum and the other fish. Also you need to think about if you really want all them fry and what you might do with them. As they wont be big enough to sell or give away before she next drops.

I am new to this but learning quickly. Good Luck and the first drops always exciting. x

Actually different fish fry seek shelter in different places Bexx. Swordtail and platy fry tend to seek cover at the top of the water among floating plants. Guppies can most often be found hiding in the tank's gravel or very near the bottom and mollies almost always seek shelter in plants in mid height somewhere. These are just tendencies but if you place appropriate cover in the right location for your fish fry, you will get more survivors.

My fish must just be freaks.lol! My Guppies always go to the surface and swim around the edges of the tank and the only place I have ever found the few surviving swordtails is in the plastic grass at the bottom of my tank (but I find them several hours after drop). When I think about it though my molly fry do always go in plants midway! ;)

Thats handy to know though as when I get more fish I can be better prepared. Thanks Oldman47. x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back