Preferred substrate for Goldfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BettaEm19

Reaction score
Hello, in a few months I am receiving a 38 gallon tank for my two baby goldfish and I was wondering what kind of substrate is best for them. Right now I'm using gravel, but I've seen so many people use sand. Is sand better than gravel? Do you have a preference? I want to make sure this tank makes them super happy and cozy. :)

Bare bottom is pretty popular, but sand would be the way to go for goldfish. I've heard stories of goldfish swallowing small pebbles and having them block their digestive system resulting in death.

Another thing, are these fancy goldfish or the regular pond goldfish? If they are the normal kind then a 38gal won't cut it in the long run.

Bare bottom is pretty popular, but sand would be the way to go for goldfish. I've heard stories of goldfish swallowing small pebbles and having them block their digestive system resulting in death.

Another thing, are these fancy goldfish or the regular pond goldfish? If they are the normal kind then a 38gal won't cut it in the long run.
They are Fancy goldfish.

I prefer to keep my Goldfish tank bare bottom, it's a lot easier to maintain than a sand/gravel bottom. However that's not something you would encounter in their natural environment. Goldfish are essentially a small carp, they enjoy sifting through the sandy bottom for food. If I were to put anything other than a bare bottom it would defiantly be a fine sand so they don't end up swallowing any pebbles/gravel. I hope this helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back