Practical Fish Keeping Forum

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that fixing someones access so they get taken to a blank page whenever they try to access the site is a pretty effective ban, it means they can't even read the forums let alone take part in them. However i am glad that the restrictions have now been removed.

personally i think he just compulsive buys and people get off on it sad little people or and eric says he has more water than he uses in a shower me thinks he needs to get a bath :rolleyes:

Cheers Dane

Geez that was an interesting read, I see nothing wrong with CFC's post. If anyone was wrong it was those immature posters that were wanting to see CFC's reaction when he read all the posts against him. This information would keep me off their forum, if that's how they think fish should be kept. Way to stick up for what is right. Anyone notice how well this kid communicates and responds. It seems his degree of autism is not as severe as PFK assumes. He appears to understand the concept of right and wrong. Granted its nothing to joke about and it is a handicap. The supermarket I work at hires some for basic work like bagging groceries, so I have seen several levels of severity of this mental disease. Autism certainly isn't an excuse for animal abuse, and his parents are just as responsible as I'm sure they had a hand in purchasing these large expensive catfish. CFC, you were right in defending these fish.

That thread gives me the lols. CFC was not entirely tactful (though I thought it was very good for him ;) ), but it's great to see those people who think CFC would be envious of the tank sizes that kid owns get absolutely pwn3d when CFC listed his tanks. Makes moving all those dang things with him worthwhile :)

For me the biggest problem is not that the fish were bought, but that people who just don't understand the needs of the fish thought it was great. We know for sure that RTCs cand and do hit 5 feet in captivity, 6,7 and even more in the wild have been reported. To be safe you must plan for at least 5 feet. Going on a 4x2x1.5 (length by width by depth) of the fish size as a minimum gives a 20x10xx7.5 feet tank/pond. Just how many people really own (or can provide) that sort of tank?

That incident reflects badly on PFK, but then when they respect the advice of MFK so much I am not so surprised. One only needs a brief view at MFK to see just how many people are trying to cause nutritional problems by feeding goldfish (see the pinned topic on live feeders in the predatory forum for a detailed discussion on why you should not feed roseys or goldies).

To be entirely honest though, I can't help but feel a lot of members on that forum didn't like the idea that first of all someone questioned the fishkeeping style of a person they see as an expert keeper, and then to make it worse this "n00b" has a larger set up and has more experience. Consider how many times they claim that this "Bruce" can do anything he wants, such as knocking up tropical ponds when he is only 15 years old. For a view on how likely that is, check out the recent thread where CFC asked just how many people have planned and then managed to complete the construction of a large tank/pond. We all have good intentions, but how many can really provide the sort of set ups?

As for buying to ship the fish on, as CFC mentions in the thread, just check out Aquarist Classified.

I found the whole thread quite disheartening, to be honest.
Why buy a fish just to rehome it at when it gets too big? I know most fish are hardy and can handle the move but surely it's best to buy fish suited to your tank. Everyone has plans of upgrading but you never know what's around the corner. Why not buy a fish that is suitable, then invest in bigger fish when you have a tank large enough to house it.

What got me was they kept referring to Goldfish and pleco's being kept in significantly small tank, and that this was just a personal attack.

Imo, Goldfish and Pleco's etc in a 2foot tank isnt the same as keeping a 5 foot fish in a 5 foot tank and 3 of them at that.

having read the thread i dont think CFC was in the wrong at all
unfortunately for him several of the key posters in the thread in question are in their early teens and seemingly lack the maturity to accept constructive critism
fortunately the matter has now been resolved and hopefully the fish in question go on to be suitably housed
JC :good:

Wow ! I Cant believe how they spoke to you, Not to mention how young most of them are and claiming to be highly experienced That deserves another WOW!! It really does make you wanna laugh out loud when all you did is ask a simple question regarding the welfare of his fish. I'm so shocked, this is the only forum I use so to think that is how they treat people who show a genuine interest in how someone is keeping their fish. SHOCKING!!!! :nod:

No-one here knows all the facts in this case, yet still feels qualified to make snap judgments about this autistic child who is not able to defend himself here.

Ignorant postings like the following do your forums reputation no favours, even if as I'm sure, they only represent a small but loud minority;

I am not seeking an argument, and come here outside of my role as a moderator on the PFK forum only to ask for this unnecessary abuse to stop before it causes any harm to the child in question.

So...you have a wee bit of power on some other site, thus giving you the gall to come over here and try and shove your views down our throats. But, when one of our members goes to PFK and expresses his views, you ban him....Hmm...Real nice double standards there bubba.

What does you being a moderator on another form have to do with anything? As I said before, and let's put this into context for you, I don't care if you're the Pope, Allah, or what-not...If you do something stupid, or worth reprimand, then you should take what people throw at you. Just because the kid has some disorder doesn't make it any better, and...to tell you the truth I don't care if he has 'fixed the problem'...If he did it once, he'll do it again.

Perfect example: I have posted many heated 'Ignorant Posts' before. And guess what... Odds are I'll do it again... But it's ok because of two reasons: I'm southern, we're just naturally more prone to violence. Secondly, I have diabetes which causes me to mood swings, making it all right for me to go off on little spats now and then.

See how that works? You try to demonize us ( and before you take this time to twist my words into something along the lines of " I was just pointing out the rude and offensives posts by a 'minority' of the users on this forum blah blah blah ) by saying that we're causing this kid harm if he manages to read any of this...Stop and think of everything else he can get to while on the computer, I'm pretty sure a person who had only the welfare of the fish in mind is the least of his worries.

Or something like that...As I really...really could care less at this point...
Have fun, and please, enjoy your stay here at TFF...Us 'ignorant minorities' will try and stay out of your way as much as possible.

And yes, this thread did get a bit out of hand - I don't think it did - but uptight people with nothing better to do except whine and moan about something might. But ya' know...there's not much you can do at this point except continue moaning, and ripping at each other until the thread is closed, or some-one gets banned. Or let this Bob fella and CFC work out his ban via pm or off site. ( yes yes yes, I know, he's not banned any more...but, they made sure he wasn't before they sent their little messenger over here...gives them more leverage)

Am I being too hostile? Hopefully...hopefully...someone will dissect my post and point out all these revealing facts to me that without the help of their superior intellect, I don't think I'd ever have figured out.

This whole conflict should just turn into a massive forums war...Flaming balls of poorly worded and written insults flying across the vast expanse of the interweb. People impaled by improper grammar diatribes and their bellies sliced open with the vicious retorts. Virulent PMs infecting every member of each forum with barbaric rage. Inflicting the desire to beat and torture the opposing side with blunt objects... until after a long, bloody spat filled with many tears - you see not everyone can handle the effects of such atrocious text - one enterprising soul steps forth and offers a pretty flower of peace and we live in harmony...happily ever after.

This has been great bed-time-reading :good: .

The whole incident really makes me appreciate this forum a whole lot more, and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside being a member lol :).

This has been great bed-time-reading :good: . The whole incident really makes me appreciate this forum a whole lot more, and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside being a member lol :).

until you get on bad terms with one of the moderators and they take it personal and ban you :good:

Oh it happens, every now and again we get a member with an attitude problem who has to be shown the door, luckily they are few and far between.

Oh it happens, every now and again we get a member with an attitude problem who has to be shown the door, luckily they are few and far between.

from the horse's mouth :hey:
peace :*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back