Powerhead problems

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone on here has used a Powerhead 620 for an Aquaone 620 tank? I'm having problems with mine.
Last one worked well for around 6mths then the impeller kept stopping, I'd have to take the head apart and manually start the impeller which would then work for between one day and a couple of weeks. It was very intermittent.
Spoke with Aquaone who sent me a replacement, it's been in the tank for around a week and today the same happened

I clean the head, taking the impeller out at each water change (weekly), so have no idea why this keeps happening.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and any suggestions? Is it a problem with this particular powerhead? Any suggestions on replacement heads of a different model?

it's a bad quality motor with faulty electrical components inside. You are getting power drops and there isn't enough power to actually start it. Send it back and tell the company you want another.

If you can find an Aquaclear powerhead that fits, that would be a better motor but you would have to buy it.

Ta, have called the supplier and he's at a loss, is going to call me back. In the meantime I'm going to look for alternative.
Got an external fluval cannister, but it's in storage a few hundred miles away and had it for years so not sure if it still works. Slightly loathe to spend a lot on an external for this tank 'cause I want to get something bigger at the end of the year and ditch this tank.

No experience with that one but is that the tank with the filter in the hood? If so Colin is right and any powerhead would work. You could also put a sponge over the intake to stop any muck going in - then you could just rinse the sponge out weekly.

That’s a shame. Normally aqua one are pretty good for power heads and filters.

I have had a few aquaone tanks in the past, not a 620 though. And always been pretty happy with these tanks and pumps etc.

Hopefully the supplier will provide you with a whole new aquaone power head unit and thereby solves the problem.

Having storage a few hundred miles away is not ideal but there are lots of second hand externals or alternative pumps on eBay or suchlike online websites which are usually pretty cheap and nowhere near their new retail prices.

Buying secondhand probably would cost the same as the cost of fuel for a few hundred miles, if not cheaper actually.

But of course let’s hope the supplier will provided you with a new unit free of charge.

Yes, it is the one with the filter in the hood, I love the filter, it is so quiet, easy to maintain, makes a nice spot to put the water after the water changes without messing up the tank. It's just the powerhead, not had a call back yet so will chase them up. All in all it's a nice tank and if I had space for two I'd keep it, but I don't so would prefer a bigger tank.

Yeah, the storage is a pain but it's our old house whilst we're selling it. Nearly brought the filter up when we were there a couple of weeks ago, could kick myself now for not bothering.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back