Powercuts...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

houndour

Twiglet and Eeyore
Reaction score
My boyfriend just phoned me to say we've had a powercut at the house. Although I expect the power will be back on within a few hours, I was wondering if there's any potential problems for my tank which is cycling?

I have no fish at the moment so I'm not too worried, but I wondered if any of you guys have back up plans for if there's a power cut?

Thats always a bit of a worry but (touch wood) we've never had a powercut for more than about an hour. :whistle:

I've heard people advising to wrap the tank(s) in blankets to try and maintain the temp but i don't think there's a lot else you can do.

the powercut lasted 5 and half hours :( and the temp dropped to 21 degrees.

Is this potentially too low for fish? Would this have harmed fish had I had any?

The tempature drop to 21 (i assume C and not F) itself wouldnt of done any harm I wouldnt think unless the fish were of a fragile variety (eg choclate gourami). I think the bigger risk would be quickish drop and then relative quick warm again would be more stressful. The more I hear of other peoples power cuts more I feel I'm lucky to live in Brisbane where my tap water in summer is sometimes warmer than my tank water :rofl: , and I havnt had to turn my heaters on yet :p

Katchan

Temperature variations are not ideal but i agree with Katchan, nothing too drastic in this case.

Oh yeah...that was 1 long powercut :/

If had fish, light a fire somehow(wood/matches whatever) and heat some water and put it in a container/place in the tank. It should keep the water warm until the power would be back.

hot water bottle as the container perhaps.

I know exactlyhow you feel! About 2 years ago in July, our city had a MASSIVE storm come through (they called it a micro-burst or something like that). Trees were knocked over, trees went through homes, some lost roofs to the wind, and nearly the entire city of 150,00 lost their power. I was lucky and only lost mine for 2 day. Sorry to say that my fish in a 10 gallon didn't make it. They were in the basement, which luckily stayed fairly cool in the hot summer (with no a/c due to power), but the tank temp was high, and no filtration did them in. Perhaps a larger tank would have faired better.

My house religiously loses power once a month for at least 6 hours. In fact a large portion of the city where I live goes dark. The first time it happened I panicked. Big time. The second time after no problems the first time I was still worried. The last time it happened I didn't worry at all. The fish were fine. No signs of stress at all, and the temp didn't fall all that much. I have only lived here since September, and I am considering moving to get away from all the power outages, of course not because it bothers me, but because I don't want it to hurt my fish :*) .

i had an 18 hour power cut 2 weeks ago it happened at about 12.30 midnight i didnt know till the morning and my tank in the morning @ 7.30 am was 22 degrees ... wrapped tank in tin foil they all survived and my power returned at 845 pm

phew :crazy:

ok cheers katchan! and finger crossed i only ever had a 10 min power cut they happedn pretty frequentyl at uni, but never for to long!! good advice on here for if it don't cone right back on

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back