BettaPonic

Reaction score
I thought we could discuss this lovely plant. I personally love the vine overgrown look it gives around my tank. I also like the root structure taking over the tank. What do you like/dislike about this plant?

Dislike- poisonous to dogs and cats so unfortunately I can't keep it. Love the look of it though!

I have one growing in the top of my 20 gallon. I love the roots, like you said. I've heard it's a good nitrate sponge, but I haven't tested the tank before and after to check.

Luckily my dog stays away from them.

I have never seen cats go for it either. Most of the time animals take only one tast and then walk away. The purpose of the poison is not the kill animals but to simply discourage animals from eating it.

Had quite a lot growing out of my discus tank. The root system in the water was a perfect home for fry, both hiding place and food source with all the microfauna living in there.

As for being a nitrate sponge, I let it drape across a long windowsill, and had it curve back a few times. Some of those vines were over 6m long and some of the leaves were the size of dinner plates!
When I dismantled the tank I filled two and a half large bin bags with the pothos. How's that for nitrate sponge? ;)

Growing out of the tank it has the advantage of having limitless CO2 and the bigger it gets the more nitrates it takes.

I love it, but couldn't get it grow. I don't know why.

Last edited:
No, only the roots were submerged. And they just rotted away.

Odd, it's supposed to be foolproof...
Did you start with cuttings or with rooted vines?

oky i know exactly what your going through. the shock of a pothos becoming a water plant is somewhat a bit too much. what you can do is make new cuttings like this
HFProductsApril 019_0.JPG

after that DON NOT PUT INSIDE OF TANK let the cutting inside of a cup of water. old fish water is best. after the pothos is used to the water and grows a few roots you can put it inside of the tank. and if you established pothos just trim the roots.
ALSO:

make sure your get enough lighting. all my pothos that don't receive light dies so lighting to important

Good root growth requires Chlorine a Trace (micro) nutrient. If your tank is defficient in chlorine your roots will be at best stunted, just rot away, or just don't grow at all. I actually witnessed this in my tank. No plant is fooproof if you have a nutrient deficiency.

Aqua, I put my Pothos in the tank immediately after taking them. I take 20-30 cuttings at a time last time.

I didn't know that they could go in a fish tank. Are there any fish that they don't get along with? We have swordtails and corydoras sterbai. Only the roots go in the tank?

I would love to do this, and I have some cuttings started.

I used Flourish Comprehensive but it still did not make it. I just have no idea why not. This plant is not supposed to require a lot of light. It had the tank lights and the available light in the room. I have several of these plants in my bathroom, in water only, no dirt, and they are thriving. So I really do not understand why the one in my tank didn't do well.

Most reactions

Back