Potential Community Tank Residents

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Booboo puppy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
What other fish will go with the platies I have? I really like them a lot, but want to add some variety. I prefer live bearers, but since these platies are being prolific, I was thinking of adding something else. Certain types of tetras? Will angels be too aggressive? I was thinking of sword tails too. I haven't had good luck with Mollies in the past so was going to avoid those. And I'm just not too impressed with the local guppies available. And what kind of algae eater would work? I have plastic plants and gravel in the bottom of the tank. Not sure what kind of filter I have, but it sits on the outside. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Gosh, platies are such a great fish to put with just about anything accept maybe the barb family of fish. You could put anything with them that wouldn't attack them...the possibilities are endless.

Tetras, danios, rasboras, gouramies, guppies, angelfish and other softwater cichlids, etc.

The fish I would not put them with would be any fish that get really large like pacus, etc. and definately wouldn't put them with any barb or pictus cats as they'll be lunch when the pictus gets up in age. And that doesn't take long. Most other catfish as far as I know would be just fine with them though. I'm partial to cories myself. ;)

Good luck and have fun picking!! :thumbs:

Angels would work. :)
I'd get a couple of pearl gouramies instead though...

A good algae eater for your size tank is the bristlenose pleco or some otos. Whiptail plecs are great too, as are bulldog/rubbernose plecs.

Most fish, like already mentioned, work well with platies. Might I suggest black phantom tetras or harlequin rasboras though? A group of at least 6 of either (or both if you like) would look great. Cories are wonderful too - I like the bronze and blackfin best. I'm a fan of zebra danios too and a group of at least 5 would look nice in your tank as they enjoy swimming in the top layers - if you get the plec, it'll balance things out nicely. If you like barbs, maybe get a couple of cherry barbs or a school of checker or golden dwarf barbs. Swordtails are also a great idea if you like them ( I love them :)).

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I need to check the index to see what some of mentioned fish look like. I had pearl gouramis once before--seems they were pretty hardy (always a plus when I'm responsible for their well-being :unsure: ). I like the idea of some schooling fish too.

Booboo puppy said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Now I need to check the index to see what some of mentioned fish look like. I had pearl gouramis once before--seems they were pretty hardy (always a plus when I'm responsible for their well-being :unsure: ). I like the idea of some schooling fish too.
It's usually good to have some schooling fish with some fish that don't really school because it gives the tank a good look :)

Hi Booboo puppy :)

If your gravel is fairly fine, why not think about adding a small school of corydoras catfish? They are perfect citizens in any community tank and come in many different varieties.

Corys are egglayers and schooling fish. You would want to have at least 3 of them, but the more the better. If you should want to try breeding them at some future date, many of them are good ones to start out with.

I would especially recommend starting with some bronze or albino C. aeneus, although most corys being sold would work out well in your tank.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...rydora/51_f.php

I have typical pet store type gravel--looks kind of rough. Don't think it would be compatible with the Corys based on what I've read.

Most reactions

Back