Possibly Sick Fish, Help ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My young sister got a fish about two weeks now. It's a huge red comet goldfish from the local petstore. They had recieved them the day she bought it so they were almost all fine and healthy (except for an extremely big oranda that was swimming upside down everywhere).
When we got home she put it in a 2 gallon bowl. I got that exact same bowl for my two goldfish where one of them died the day after i put it in. The other one died soon after that. So when they died i just decided to give up on goldfish and got a betta.

Now back to my sister's fish, it has beed okay for the last days appart from the very little care and attention my sister gives to it. It swims around the bowl and hides under the plastic plants, everything just fine.

Today i arrived from a sleepover and i noticed that the poor little fish has black spots in its fins, in its body, close to its gills.

We dont have a filter and there is no way we're getting one soon. My parents dont pay for fish stuff except for food, we have to buy everything with the money they give us monthly and my sister doesnt have money for a filter, she probably wouldnt buy one if she had and i'm not gonna buy a filter for her if i dont even have a filter myself. Just making that clear.

I'm pretty sure they are ammonia burns and i know that the water changes are very important for the burns to disappear but my sister wont let me take care of the fish. She says it's her fish and i have mine to take care of and i cant do anything cause last time i changed its water, she got mad and everything.

Is there anything i can do to convince my sister that she has to take care of her fish?
Will it die if she doesnt take care of it?
How can i "scare" her to make her take care of it?
Does it need meds?
I have fungus, ich and fin rot treatment but it says in the box that it workd for other stuff too.
How are the burns treated ?

Hello.

You may want to get your sister to join this site.

That bowl is not suitable for any fish, let alone one that gets as large as a comet. They are best suited for tanks 75g+, or ponds. They can get up to over a foot long.
I'd recommend returning it to the store or re-homing it.

It'll eventually die if kept in that bowl, yes. Goldfish are very messy, so the ammonia is going to build up, a lot, and quickly, in that little bowl. 
I am not experienced with ammonia burns but I imagine keeping the water clean is the main thing to do.

You may want her to read this: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/ and you should read it as well if you havn't already.
And for you to read if you havn't already: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423364-betta-splendens-caresheet/

Did I really just read that you put a big comet goldfish inside of a 2 gallon fishbowl??

*headshake*

neutron20 said:
Did I really just read that you put a big comet goldfish inside of a 2 gallon fishbowl??

*headshake*

Buddy, it's not my fish, it's not me you have to be "disappointed" at. She got a huge fish when she could've just get a black moor or something.

Can you convince her to try and return it? It will surely die in that little bowl! Especially if she is not giving it any care!!!! 

argoma said:

*headshake*

Buddy, it's not my fish, it's not me you have to be "disappointed" at. She got a huge fish when she could've just get a black moor or something.

That's not suitable even for a black moor :/ Fancy goldfish need 30g for the first and then 15g for each additional.
Have you tried convincing her to come to this site?

Oh, dear!

I have two sisters myself and know they can be stubborn as a mule sometimes!

What you need to do is to make it seem as if its their idea to get a bigger tank or to re-home the fish.

Drop hints or suggest a few ideas, try not to force things, leave some information about goldfish and good info lying around on a kitchen table or something like that, its planting the idea in her head that does the trick.

I know from personal experience that saying/shouting/arguing does not make a single difference. Sisters will pretty much do the opposite of what you say just out of spite basically, its not personal, it just the nature of these things!

Really is unsuitable to keep ANY fish in a 2 gallon bowl.

I don't have much hope she will see things before its too late for the comet but hopefully she will learn, albeit the hard way that you were just trying to help and she may adjust her ideas in future.

Let us know how you get on 
smile.png

Ch4rlie said:
Oh, dear!

I have two sisters myself and know they can be stubborn as a mule sometimes!

What you need to do is to make it seem as if its their idea to get a bigger tank or to re-home the fish.

Drop hints or suggest a few ideas, try not to force things, leave some information about goldfish and good info lying around on a kitchen table or something like that, its planting the idea in her head that does the trick.

I know from personal experience that saying/shouting/arguing does not make a single difference. Sisters will pretty much do the opposite of what you say just out of spite basically, its not personal, it just the nature of these things!

Really is unsuitable to keep ANY fish in a 2 gallon bowl.

I don't have much hope she will see things before its too late for the comet but hopefully she will learn, albeit the hard way that you were just trying to help and she may adjust her ideas in future.

Let us know how you get on 
smile.png

She is stubborn as hell , i have told her that it is gonna die , for her to return it or to let is swim in my grandpa's pond or something but she doesnt care. She says it is perfectly fine and i cant really convince her. Now i know it is a small bowl for any fish, even for my betta it would be but at the moment we cant afford any other tank so soon cause i'm getting one for my betta tomorrow. I'm just worried with the fishy bc it's such a cutie. I dont really know why she got it if she doesnt take care of it!
Thank you for understanding

Are there any other fish in your grandpa's pond? Imagine it might get eaten if there is and it's still small. Not sure though.
I wonder if you could sneak away with the fish :/

Ninjouzata said:
Are there any other fish in your grandpa's pond? Imagine it might get eaten if there is and it's still small. Not sure though.
I wonder if you could sneak away with the fish
confused.gif

No, i dont think he has fish in this one i'm refering to.
I could but she would realise it is missing and get all crazy about it and eventually blame me.

argoma said:

confused.gif

I could but she would realise it is missing and get all crazy about it and eventually blame me.

its something to consider though, i mean it would the right thing to do,considering the stock of the pond.

Aren't your parents concerned about the welfare of the fish? Can't you get them on your side?

ncguppy830 said:

confused.gif

its something to consider though, i mean it would the right thing to do,considering the stock of the pond.

My grandpa also has sort of a tank , it's clean and plastic. Since it's so big and round , my cousins use it as a pool because they are small and scared of the actuall pool. That specific "tank" is usually outside and sometimes not used. Could it be a good idea for me so suggest taking the fish to my grandpa's and put it in that thing ? It is actually very big, two of my 5 year-old cousins fit in there. Would it be a good idea?

argoma said:

confused.gif

My grandpa also has sort of a tank , it's clean and plastic. Since it's so big and round , my cousins use it as a pool because they are small and scared of the actuall pool. That specific "tank" is usually outside and sometimes not used. Could it be a good idea for me so suggest taking the fish to my grandpa's and put it in that thing ? It is actually very big, two of my 5 year-old cousins fit in there. Would it be a good idea?

yea, as long as it has a pump ive heard of goldies being held in that kind of thing.

Meeresstille said:
Aren't your parents concerned about the welfare of the fish? Can't you get them on your side?

My mom says it's a waste of time to keep fish. She got kinda mad when i got my betta and even more mad when my sis got her comet. She just doesnt have time to think about it and we already have other pets to care for so she's just like "oh another one to feed".
Tho, she is on my side. She's always telling my sister to change her fish's water and to see how much care i take for my little betta.
ncguppy830 said:

confused.gif

yea, as long as it has a pump ive heard of goldies being held in that kind of thing.

so i may talk to my parents about it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back