Possible Tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

musiclover145

Reaction score
So I have a 10-gallon tank that I was using and recently I decided to change it into a betta community tank. So I was wondering if I could house 2 guppies with my betta? If, not can I try any other fish. And how many can I try?
Thanks a lot,
Neha????:#:#:#:good::good:

Bettas do not do well with other fish. When you have a happy Betta and you add another fish, everything goes downhill. Bettas are not community fish which means that when they are around other fish, the get stressed and your other fish get stressed. This can lead to problems like ick. Ick is present in almost everybody's home aquarium but only shows itself when fish are stressed. If a Betta is happy and content, why would we add more fish just for our personal enjoyment and then see the Betta and the fish get a disease. I do recommend adding some shrimp and a nerite snail. I would recommend Amano shrimp or Ghost shrimp because the eggs dont hatch out as miniature versions of the parents like cherry shrimp do.

What sort of water do you have? is it hard or soft?

What sort of substrate do you have?

Any chance of a photo of the tank?

What sort of water do you have? is it hard or soft?

What sort of substrate do you have?

Any chance of a photo of the tank?
I have hard water
Right now I have blue gravel, but I plan to change it to white sand.
I don't have a photo of my tank, unfortunately. But it is a rectangular tank with a power filter, heater, aerator, and thermometer.

I have hard water
That really limits your choice of tank mates, as the fish that make suitable tank mates all prefer soft water.

I would recommend Amano shrimp or Ghost shrimp because the eggs dont hatch out as miniature versions of the parents like cherry shrimp do.
Nothing wrong with baby cherry shrimp, Where I come from they are worth $5 each, they also make great free food for your Betta, If he can catch them.

You are also better off getting a Mystery snail because they dont leave eggs all over the place.

wpid-wp-1424814836533.jpeg

I would forget about Bettas and go with male guppies, male Endler, which are hard water species. As already mentioned by another member, Betta are not community fish; one Betta alone in the 10g would be OK if you decide that, but not more, and not with other species of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back