Possible ranavirus spreading in our local wildlife?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I thought nothing of it at this time holding the little guy but he looked injured and I wanted to check him out and see if he needed help. Looked like a small scratch, so I let him go...
This was about a week or two ago.
20230421_115654_capture.jpg

Now today I found a lizard that was on its back and dead with obvious signs of a Ranaviral infection.
[IMAGES MAY BE DISTURBING, VIEW WITH CAUTION]
20230502_125202.jpg

20230502_125249.jpg

I feel like this is something that should be reported to local wildlife biologists so they can deal with it... This is the third one I've seen in the past 2 weeks and it can spread between reptiles, fish, and amphibians...

I don't think there is much the biologists can do, from what I understand there is no control or treatment and a brief check on the internet shows the "authorities" are well aware of the issue. If you have the equivalent of a Conservation Officer you could report it to them but I wouldn't expect much of a response, but maybe they might appreciate the info. Do your part by cleaning up after handling reptiles and amphibians, and if you are walking in marshy areas make sure to clean your cloths and foot ware before going to another reptile or amphibian habitat. I found this site has some information https://www.acvp.org/page/ranavirus.

I almost wonder if some of the fish issues with unknown die offs that some people have mentioned here on other threads might be this virus. It would be disastrous if this disease was part of wholesale fish sales, we could be spreading the disease through our hobby.

I was unaware of this issue till you brought it up, thanks. I will be watching for it when I go into the bush from now on.

I don't think there is much the biologists can do, from what I understand there is no control or treatment and a brief check on the internet shows the "authorities" are well aware of the issue. If you have the equivalent of a Conservation Officer you could report it to them but I wouldn't expect much of a response, but maybe they might appreciate the info. Do your part by cleaning up after handling reptiles and amphibians, and if you are walking in marshy areas make sure to clean your cloths and foot ware before going to another reptile or amphibian habitat. I found this site has some information https://www.acvp.org/page/ranavirus.

I almost wonder if some of the fish issues with unknown die offs that some people have mentioned here on other threads might be this virus. It would be disastrous if this disease was part of wholesale fish sales, we could be spreading the disease through our hobby.

I was unaware of this issue till you brought it up, thanks. I will be watching for it when I go into the bush from now on.
Yah I reported it to our conservation biologist cause I feel it may be spreading badly (especially if the three I saw are three separate cases).
I'm going to rid of the body in some way to where it won't be messed with by other wildlife and give the virus a chance to spread...

And you're definitely right, it would be horrible if our fish were harmed by this virus and the pet trade itself got infected...
We need to do our part and help the environment by trying to control certain outbreaks...

If you can burn the body that might be the best way of dealing with the contagion. I don't know how persistent the virus is in the environment, scorched earth policy is likely the most effective.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back