Possible Heater Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have the super fish 100w heater and I'm not sure if it's working or not as I don't see the light come on that often with my last heater I would see the on light light up quite a lot. Is there a way to test the temperature of the water and all the fish seem happy in the tank and if I increase the temperature on the side of the heater the light switches on which makes me think that it works but I just wonder why I don't see the light come on that often. Thanks for any help from Tom

if the light comes on when you increase the temp, it's operational, it might just be murphy's law that it comes on whenever you dont look. if you're really worried, set a camera up

yeah, you can test the temp of the water with an alcohol or digital thermometer. they do ones that stick on the inside of the tank. Dont bother with the plastic strip ones, they measure room temperature just as much as they measure tank temperature

If your previous heater wasn't rated as high in wattage as your new one then it would come on more frequently, always best toi have additional means to ensure temperature is relatively stable 2-3 degrees change over several hours isn't anything to be concerned about :)

My old heater was a 50w for a 40 litre and this one is a 100w for a 70 litre. I have seen some digital thermometers with suction cups on how good are they are do they go on the outside or inside of the tank and can I just put them on when I need them or should they be on the tank at all times. I'm not that worried as It does switch on when I increase the temperature and if I was not working I'm sure the fish would show some signs as it has been in operation for over 24 hours now. Also can I use the thermometer that you use to measure a child's temperate to take the temperature of the tank from Tom

A thermometer is basic fish keeping equipment. I use the alcohol thermometers, because I'm 'old school', and honestly, the exact temperature is meaningless to me, but the fact that the temperature is stable is all that I care about.

I'd add that digital or electronic thermometers have a lot more 'failure' points than an alcohol thermometer.  The alcohol will expand and contract based on the temperature of the water and you will have a reliable, fool-proof way of determining the temperature of your tank.  For that reason, I don't see the need to add the extra expense for a digital thermometer - and I personally would still go with the alcohol thermometers, even if they cost more.

Seal36 said:
My old heater was a 50w for a 40 litre and this one is a 100w for a 70 litre. I have seen some digital thermometers with suction cups on how good are they are do they go on the outside or inside of the tank and can I just put them on when I need them or should they be on the tank at all times. I'm not that worried as It does switch on when I increase the temperature and if I was not working I'm sure the fish would show some signs as it has been in operation for over 24 hours now. Also can I use the thermometer that you use to measure a child's temperate to take the temperature of the tank from Tom
that'll be either a plastic strip or a metal tip, in either case, not really suitable, alcohol thermomrters are quite inexpensive and will do the job just as well, but thw whole time, i would suggest buying one of them rather than looking for alternate solutions that, imho, aren't worth the constant effort

Digital thermometers stay on the whole time there is a charged battery within them, unless you have one with a power switch, the ones with suction cups go inside, the ones with a sensor and a lead (like mine) go on the outside, with the sensor inside the tank

eaglesaquarium said:
A thermometer is basic fish keeping equipment. I use the alcohol thermometers, because I'm 'old school', and honestly, the exact temperature is meaningless to me, but the fact that the temperature is stable is all that I care about.

I'd add that digital or electronic thermometers have a lot more 'failure' points than an alcohol thermometer.  The alcohol will expand and contract based on the temperature of the water and you will have a reliable, fool-proof way of determining the temperature of your tank.  For that reason, I don't see the need to add the extra expense for a digital thermometer - and I personally would still go with the alcohol thermometers, even if they cost more.
i agree with the failure points, however i'm a tad of a perfectionist.. i still use alcohol as a backup though

You know they make alcohol thermometers with a finer gradient scale. :p

eaglesaquarium said:
You know they make alcohol thermometers with a finer gradient scale.
tongue2.gif
ayee, but i'm a digital age kid ;)

To each their own, I suppose.

eaglesaquarium said:
To each their own, I suppose.
indeed c: i use both types anyway so i always have a backup, and i look at both aswell

Can someone post a picture of an alcohol thermometer as I can't seem to find one that's made for aquariums and also out of the pictures attached which thermometer is more reliable and better for getting an accurate temperature from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
Is that the most reliable and accurate of all 3 and how easy is it to read because the others have big numbers on them and also the digital ones can be 1c above or below the acutaually temperature what is that one like from Tom

I actually use all three of these different types for both my tanks!

Yeah, I know a little OTT but thats just me, in fact all three pretty much say the same temp give or take a half degree or so, therefore all these are pretty accurate I think.

As Eagles says, as long as temperature is steady and stable close enough to your desired temp thats all that really matters TBH.

Ok thank you very much I think I will go for the first picture that I put as it's quite small and It won't make the tank look weird, also do I need to leave it on all the time or can I just turn it on and off when I need to use it. Also is there somewhere in the tank I need to put it or can I out it anywhere. Also what do I do if my heater is not working at the right temperature from Tom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back