Poorly Cory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a male panda cory that's been 'poorly' for quite some time but I'm struggling to work out what the problem is. I say 'poorly' because he's not actually sick in that he's stopped eating or anything - in fact he behaves normally, eats well and is the father to my two panda's that hatched and grew up in my tank.
He developed a cloudyness to his head about a year ago. In that time the tank has been treated with Octozin and Esha 2000 - not specifically to treat his problem as such but for other things but he's not recovered. 
What ever it is he's not contageous - all my other cories are absolutely fine. The reason I'm posting is because in the last few days he's got much worse and now he looks terrible. I've no idea what's wrong or what this is but I fear I might end up losing him soon.

Here's some photo's

003_zpswlpyddr7.jpg

031_zpstg6yogd4.jpg

Any idea's anyone?

Hello.

I'm thinking it could be old age? He looks grown and plump, but how has he gotten worse if he's behaving normally and eating well? Has he slowed down a lot?

Are his eyes cloudy or just his head? 

no the cloudy patch seems to be growing. It started out as just a little bit inbetween his eyes but now it looks to be spreading down onto his body. I'd suspect genetic if his two 'kids' had the same thing.
There's no problems swimming or eating. He's behaving normally but I just wish I knew what it was and if I could cure it

my best guess is it's a slime coat problem - whether he's creating too much or not enough ...

I'm not sure what that is.  Maybe try adding some stress coat? 

I'm liking the SAE book ends :)

I remembered after posting that this tank has also had Melafix in too since his skin went funny cos I had a female peppered cory with a cut to her tail. 

So he's had a course of anti-biotics, a course of Esha 2000 and a course of melafix too and none of it has cured his problem. And like you Far_King I don't know what it is.
I'll be going to p@h today for dog food and to see if they have a Nitrate tester, I might have a look at the other API one ... is it called Primafix? Something like that. I'd rather not go adding meds willy-nilly but he's getting worse so something has to be done

Primafix is supposed to be for fungal infections. I've got a bottle now, but never used it so don't know how good it is. On the bottle it says "a safe way to treat a broad range of fungal infections. Treats fungus or cottony growth, mouth and body fungus and reddening of fins and body. Also treats internal and external bacterial infections."
Dose; add 5ml per 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily for 7 days. After 7 days make a 25% water change. Treatment can be continued if necessary.
Ingredient: Pimenta racemosa 1%.
The bottle I got was 118ml, so not enormous, and it wasn't very cheap either; about £8.
He does look very fuzzy. Fungi are often opportunists, rather than the main problem.

I've got him some Pimafix. I'll add some in a bit and hope for the best. I just don't want him to get any worse and as I don't know what this is I needed a broad spectrum med - looks like the Pimafix might be what I need.

We'll see and I'll keep you all posted.

In the meantime if someone does know what is wrong with him and can suggest a better treatment than please let me know :)

after reading the Pimafix instructions it seems I can't start the course yet. It needs 7 days and then a 25% water change and my tank is due a water change at the weekend and so I'll have to wait a day or two.

No matter - he's been like this about a year so a couple of days won't make much difference

well it's been a week of treatment (I ran out of treatment last night - so much for it treating 900L) and the cory isn't really improved. Not sure what to do now :(

Weird, puzzling. What is that on the right side of his face, it looks like something is clamped on? Look at the picture where he is head on.

I can't work out what it is RCA - believe me I've tried. It looks like a scale sticking up so it's possibly a piece of his armour plating? I'm just guessing though.

I've seen him today and he's no different. I'm considering running a course of a broad spectrum external medication. I've got a harlequin with weird cyst like things that I've no idea about either.

Have a look and see if you know what that is. 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/440389-thinking-about/page-3

oh no ... I hope not. Those things are really hard to get rid of. Right well, looks like I need a parasite treatment any advice on which one is most effective?

I've just checked the harlequin and the things have dropped off leaving a bloody hole. The only treatment I can find that mentions argulas is a TAP aquarium doctor one

See first if you can get a better/clear picture, focusing in on that spot if possible.
It is always easier once we know for sure what we are trying to treat, prior to selecting the medication;) There is a lot on the net about fish lice, yet would like to see a closer pic to be sure.

Most reactions

trending

Back