Poor Betta

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nina7777

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well my betta who I have had for almost 3 1/2 years is not doing too well. A few days ago while doing a water change I noticed his face looked like it was starting to deteriorate. Then he looked like he was getting pop eye, and now he just looks completely awful.

I am treating with aquarium salt, water changes, melafix, and fungus fizz tabs. He's still eating, but I know he is suffering.

My question is, do you think I am prolonging his suffering my treating with meds? I refuse to euthanize, but if there is no chance of recovery since he is 31/2 years old (and I don't know how old he was when I got him) then maybe I should just stop treatment and let nature take its course.

What do you guys think? :sad: :-( :sad: :-(

*sigh*

He's an oldie :/ Med's probably won't affect him one way or the other. If it's his time... :dunno: :sad:

Either you find the fountain of youth or you decide to stop the pain and put your emotions aside. :/

Just make sure there is no other way and that he won't get better.

I know what you mean about euthanizing, Nina, but sometimes it's for the best. Maybe get a friend/ relative/ vet/ pet store to do it, if you can't bring yourself to. GL :thumbs:

I am sorry to say it but I also agree with cutechic. If your betta cannot be cured you do not want it to suffer un-necessarly do you. I know it is a tough decision to make especialy when you have had them for so long.
I really sympathise with you and am really sorry to hear your bad news.
Good luck with which ever path you choose to take on this matter.
Kaz

Hi-All thank you for the replies and condolences.

He passed away last night by the time I had gotten home from work. :byebye:

I felt so bad, but at least he had a long healthy happy life. :-(

and at least he is not suffering any longer.

:rip: - Little buddy

Thank you everyone I appreciate the comments. They make me feel better.

I did all I could do. and He was always happy! He even beat cotton mouth about a year ago. I guess he was just too old to pull through this time.

I'll miss him, but at least I still have Stevie (my other betta) to cheer me up. and I know for a fact he is very young, as I got him about 4 months ago from a breeder and he was only a month old at the time. He's at work right now, but he is going to come home with me, tomorrow to fill up the empty depressing space.

Thanks again everyone!

Most reactions

Back