Poop issues continue

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Two dwarf platys in my new 20 gallon long tank still have white stringy poop after 4 day treatment with API General Cure which contains metronidazole and Praziquantel. I think they are the same two fish with poop issues prior to treatment. The other platys and Mollys seem fine. The two infected fish don’t look or act ill. Any further recommendations? Thanks

In the beginning of the treatment, they will all flush their digestive tracks empty... Don feed them until it stops.

Feeding them will make them take more meds, if they are already showing signs of effectiveness, Feeding less will help the fish, they are rough on digestive systems and will upset their intestinal flora quite a bit.

If you're a maniac you can get probiotics to help the fish replenish his digestive system after a coarse intervention.

During this process while in the water your fish will still dehydrate considerably. like if like us, when we have have diarrhea.

Last edited:
Feeding them will make them take more meds, if they are already showing signs of effectiveness, Feeding less will help the fish, they are rough on digestive systems and will upset their intestinal flora quite a bit.

If you're a maniac you can get probiotics to help the fish replenish his digestive system after a coarse intervention.

During this process while in the water your fish will still dehydrate considerably. like if like us, when we have have diarrhea.
Given the continuation of white stringy poop Do you think I need to treat with meds a second time?

I'm not familiar with the product, but they nearly always includes subsequent treatments "up to x", "if necessary". I would imply doing at least 2 complete treatments, as of a starting base to make sure the "invader" cannot metabolize it's succession.

A good vacuum of the substrate is primordial, If in QT, bare bottom... Vac it... You'll never see what you remove, but it's a lot.

I think you should use Levamisole because fish normally have round/ thread worms and are much less likely to have tapeworm.
You treat tapeworm with Praziquantel.
You treat round/ thread worms with Levamisole.
You can treat both types of worms with Flubendazole.

If fish have intestinal worms, you need to feed them more before treatment, during treatment and for a month after treatment so they can make more blood and don't die as quickly from low blood pressure or lack of blood.

Most reactions

Back