Pond Ph

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently own a 1400 litre pond containing 2 ghost carp, 4 koi, 3 goldfish, 1 shubunkin, 3 golden orfe, 1 golden rudd and a green tench. It is also home to three marginal plants.

During the 3 years that the pond has been running it has maintained a PH level of 8.2. However, this summer the PH has been ranging between 8.4 and 8.8 causing alkinosis. When the PH was this high the fish seemed to be irritated and the largest koi tried to jump out of the water due to skin irritation.

Also, ever since the water went excessively alkaline blanketweed has gotten worse and the water has turned green. I believe the high PH is supporting the growth of these forms of algae. Chemical algicides are not working, it just seems like the algae is getting worse by the day.

I desperately need some information regarding natural PH buffers which will enable me to achieve a more healthy pond PH of 7.5. I've heard of two products so far named crushed coral shells and crushed oyster shells but I've received conflicting information about what their natural PH buffer range is; one source saying coral shells achieve a PH of 7.5, the other stating it will take the PH to 8.5. Can these products be used in a pond or are they for tanks only? If they can be used in a pond how much is needed and do they need to be disinfected?

Any advice is much appreciated because as of yet I've not received a comprehensive answer from my LFS and I feel hopeless.

During the 3 years that the pond has been running it has maintained a PH level of 8.2. However, this summer the PH has been ranging between 8.4 and 8.8 causing alkinosis. When the PH was this high the fish seemed to be irritated and the largest koi tried to jump out of the water due to skin irritation.

Also, ever since the water went excessively alkaline blanketweed has gotten worse and the water has turned green. I believe the high PH is supporting the growth of these forms of algae. Chemical algicides are not working, it just seems like the algae is getting worse by the day.

Have you tested for ammonia as well. Skin irritation/jumping out and algae could indicate ammonia levels.
pH wont be causing algae bloom. Not directly by any means.

Have you tested for ammonia as well. Skin irritation/jumping out and algae could indicate ammonia levels.
pH wont be causing algae bloom. Not directly by any means.
I test for ammonia weekly and it is always zero. I'd be extremely shocked to find any ammonia/nitrite or even nitrate in an established pond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back