polluted water!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pcam86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it safe to stop feeding my fish for 3 days to let my water correct itself (Ammonia, nitrate etc)

i'm still giving my fry live baby brine shrimp around 2 times each day. They're in a net breeder so sometimes a lot of baby brine shrimp pass through the net and into the tank.

My hungry adult fish have started to destroy my plants though but i don't care as long as the water problem gets better. Thing is there's still some white spot going around in there but i don't wanna use treatment to add to the pollution.

I'm still kinda confsued on how much brine shrimp i need to add to the fry breeder net. I'm not sure if they'll eat too much and damage theirselves by being greedy!

i doubt they would eat too much
it's better to feed less more often than too much once a day with fry

so just drop a few in there, take a look 2 minutes later to see if any are left. if not, then feed some more in an hour or so. if there is some left, you know you fed too much so feed less the next time

I've been told that regular water changes could make my water worse!? Does anyone else have any helpful info on this?

who told you that?!? by regular water changes, we mean replace between 10~30 % of the tank water once a week.

if you're having wate quality issues, the easiest way to resolve them is 10% water changes at a rapid interval. lots of small water changes are better than a few big ones for helping fish through a crisis period.

--EDIT--
What/how many fish do you have, what size tank, and what exactly are the conditions you're concerned about?

well i've got 4 neons (was 5) and 3 platies plus around 10 platy fry in a breeding net. my tank is 63L and i've had it for 2 weeks.

First my tank got white spot then i tested my water and it had high ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and PH. i then did a water change on friday and haven't fed my fish since then (except my fry) but i'm going to give the fish some bloodworm tomorrow. I've stopped using any whitespot treatment too as i believe that was also making my water worse.

Will Melafix also screw my water up too because my neons have started to get what looks like fin rot or just scraggy fins?

okay... your tank is in the middle of cycling! please read the pinned topics regarding New Tank Syndrome and Cycling With Fish.

don't add the Melafix; the finrot is due to the poor water conditions. you need to immediately begin changing ~10% of your water everyday. unfortunately, neons and fry rarely thrive in a brand new tank and you will probably lose most of these fish. neons are best kept in a mature tank (i.e. one that has been running for 6 months or more)

sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

ok being as my fish also have white spot would it be ok to use Methylene blue to get rid of it? Will this make my tank worse?

Also is methylene blue safe to use with my fry in there?

if you read the bottle, methylene blue will kill off whatever beneficial bacteria you may have gotten started. it also says nothing about being effective against white spot. so don't use it!

operating under the assumption that white spot = ich, i recommend that you don't add any chemicals to your tank. instead raise the temperature of the water to 80~82 and add salt (just a little more everyday). again, lots of small water changes while you do this and add an airstone while you're at it.

so will white spot go without medication or what because i don't wanna add salt to my tank?

no. you can use meds, salt or both but you have to use something. i personally would use the salt method because it won't screw up your tank cycle; meds will interfere with the bacteria growth. since your fish were made susceptible to the disease by poor water conditions, i'd get the cycle completed as fast as possible.

why don't you want to add salt? most livebearers like platys actually benefit from added salt.

I know that platies are brackish fish but it's not exactly gonna benefit my other fish which already feel like crap. I'm just gonna get my water sorted out first then worry about white spot later. After all it was my crappy water that started the outbreak anyway.

regardless of what started the ick... it has started and is an issue worthy of immediate attention...

I'm not fluent with medications nor the usage of salt... but pica seems to know her stuff... I would trust her...

doing nothing in the face of adversity is giving in to the adversity....

I would add salt but i'm worried it will finish off my remaining neons! Will a lower does of salt that neons can tolerate still cure the white spot?

IF i do add some salt how much should i add to a 63L tank? Bear in mind that i have sensitive neons and platy fry in there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back