Pls Help Id Puffer

Curalingua

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I have just done a silly thing again. Some weeks ago I bought a GSP he was part of a batch i was told were tank bred (now doubt that very much). In any case he is doing very well thanks to some good advice here. Today I bought the sole remaining spotted puffer (they say) from the same batch. I have been keeping an eye on him for several weeks. He looks terrible and always has, hence he was left. He is grey/brown with no white underneath at all. He isn't really showing any green on top and his marking are unclear due to the grey/brown look. He is very similar in shape and size to my original one but a bit less developed. He caught and ate a river shrimp this evening and seems to be swimming okay and behaving very much like my original GGP.

I am now wondering if it may be a different species. I have read an article by Neale Monks and cant ID it from that. Cant upload a picture as it keeps saying its too big.

I will try photobucket or something.

Thanks

Edit- I think this takes you to the pictures, but its first time I have done it so bare with me.

http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149/curalingua/

Hi

I have just done a silly thing again. Some weeks ago I bought a SGP he was part of a batch i was told were tank bred (now doubt that very much). In any case he is doing very well thanks to some good advice here. Today I bought the sole remaining spotted puffer (they say) from the same batch. I have been keeping an eye on him for several weeks. He looks terrible and always has, hence he was left. He is grey/brown with no white underneath at all. He isn't really showing any green on top and his marking are unclear due to the grey/brown look. He is very similar in shape and size to my original one but a bit less developed. He caught and ate a river shrimp this evening and seems to be swimming okay and behaving very much like my original SGP.

I am now wondering if it may be a different species. I have read an article by Neale Monks and cant ID it from that. Cant upload a picture as it keeps saying its too big.

I will try photobucket or something.

Thanks

Edit- I think this takes you to the pictures, but its first time I have done it so bare with me.

That poor puffer :/:/:/

That unknown puffer of your is Either a GSP ( Tetraodon Nigroviridis)
puf-nig1.jpg

OR more likely the Twin Spot Puffer ( Tetraodon leiurus)
puf-lei1.jpg

I do hope he is a GSP. Or I need another tank ASAP. I know i will need one if they start to get aggressive but I was hoping to keep them together for a bit as juveniles and raise it slowly to a brackish, It seems Twin Spotted's are freshwater. The thing that makes me go towards a GSP is his eyes they are the same as my other puffer which I am sure is a GSP. Also the Twin Spotted seems to have markings going further down his body whereas this poor thing seems to have similar marking to my GSP but just very grey instead of white underneath and dull grey/brown instead of bright green on top.

The only otherr thing he could be is a brackish puffer called Tetraodon Fluviatilis aka Ceylon Puffer. Of which I have one in my Marine Tank and looks very similar to GSP but more Darker underneath and has greyish skin. Heres a picture of mine! :
IMG00464.jpg

??

The only otherr thing he could be is a brackish puffer called Tetraodon Fluviatilis aka Ceylon Puffer. Of which I have one in my Marine Tank and looks very similar to GSP but more Darker underneath and has greyish skin.

No, its definately not like this one. He looks lovely though
Thanks though

Fiona

The only otherr thing he could be is a brackish puffer called Tetraodon Fluviatilis aka Ceylon Puffer. Of which I have one in my Marine Tank and looks very similar to GSP but more Darker underneath and has greyish skin.

No, its definately not like this one. He looks lovely though
Thanks though

Fiona
GL with your ID then :)

They seem to be fine together at the moment and I will keep it freshwater until i am sure.

Thanks

Hi

You would not believe the change in him. He is nearly all white underneath now and his marking are starting to show, though not yet lime green like my first GSP.
He is definitely a GSP and they are getting along fine for now, no aggression towards each other,yet, thought the river shrimp dont stand a chance once spotted. LOL.

Thanks for your help BlackWidow

Fiona

Any pics of him now? :D

So nice to hear he's doing well now and picking up as he did lookso sorry for himself in those first pics, poor thing! Well done for getting him and cheering him up :D

Any pics of him now? :D

So nice to hear he's doing well now and picking up as he did lookso sorry for himself in those first pics, poor thing! Well done for getting him and cheering him up :D

I will take some soon. They're both doing well.

Thanks Jenny

Fiona

Edit -I have added some current oics....I think you will see the difference a week has made.

My goodness! He looks like a different fish entirely! Well done you :D

Thank you.

I hope they continue to get along so well. I just put a small cave in the tank and they both go in there together.

Fiona

Not sure if you ID'd him yet or not, but sometimes the color on the stomach can just be from being malnourished or hungry. I've seen puffers turn almost black on their stomach if their tank mates are outcompeting them for food or if they have a poor diet. Sounds like he's doing better now though, good luck.

Not sure if you ID'd him yet or not, but sometimes the color on the stomach can just be from being malnourished or hungry. I've seen puffers turn almost black on their stomach if their tank mates are outcompeting them for food or if they have a poor diet. Sounds like he's doing better now though, good luck.

He's doing great. Definately a GSP and is outgrowing his tamk mate. they're still getting on okay, touch wood!

thanks
Fiona

Hi

I am back with another question for this thread re the same GSP.

He is still doing well. They are both living happily together for the time being, except...........

The GSP no.2 I got has outgrown the 1st one and almost doubled his/her size. Can this be normal with GSP's do they grow at different rates?

If you remember from earlier in the thread he was very grey when I got him. He is fine now but at feeding times he becomes very grey each time on his underside. Like he is totally stressed out. The colour goes immediately back to white once they have eaten everything. I would say he is now the more confident dominant of the pair and I have to be careful that the 1st one gets his share of food.

Thanks for your help

Fiona

Most reactions

Back