Plesse help, tank size.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lucy202

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a beginner to the fish keeping hobby and I have made two mistakes in the tank sizes for the fish I have therefore I have been experiencing some aggressive behaviour from the platies. I was hoping that the 58 litre tank would solve the issue, but it didn't. So I went on to buy 3 more platies as the male and female could have possibly paired off. The behaviour was still happening so I had to separate the two sunset platies into the smaller tank, and I added anthother female because I read that it wasn't ideal to keep two platies in a tank on their own but now the female is started to show this behaviour to the other female. So I'm just looking for some advice on what size tank would best suit six Platies, six Danios and a African Dawf frog.
Many thanks.
Lucy.

Danios are very active so need a much bigger tank than you would guess given their size. Have you already got the danios?
Can you describe the platies aggressive behaviour - it is possibly mating behaviour rather than aggression?
Seriouslyfish.com is a good resource for fish requirements.

Yea I've already got the danios. And the behaviours of the platies are clamped fin and fast chasing. Thank you for the website I'll have a read of it 😊

Dwarf frogs should really be kept in a frog-only tank. They find their food by smell, and by the time they find where it was, fish have eaten it. They have to be target fed somewhere fish can't get to. Frogs are also very sensitive to medication; should the fish ever become sick they can't be treated in the same a tank as frogs.

The plan was for the frog to go into the smaller tank. I have noticed the danios are buggers for going straight for the frogs food so I do locate where the frog is and place the food in front and watch so I know she's getting to eat, once I've dealt with the issues of my platies I will be putting her into her own tank and get another frog so she's not alone.

Well hi there Lucy,
Welcome to the forum... :hi:
Is your tank well planted? For some hiding spots could be in favor to the bullied platy. The number of platies isn't really of any issue to avoid a platy to bully around. It's just the individual personality that can show a dominant behavior.

Well hi there Lucy,
Welcome to the forum... :hi:
Is your tank well planted? For some hiding spots could be in favor to the bullied platy. The number of platies isn't really of any issue to avoid a platy to bully around. It's just the individual personality that can show a dominant behavior.
Hey Emeraldking, thank you for the warm welcome 😊. I only bought 3 potted plants, there is quite alot of open space. But only one of the plants are growing well which grows tall, I have been cutting the new groths to fill out the open spaces. I placed sand down and didn't think of getting aquarium soil 🙄 I probably should change that too so I have better plant growth. Yeah I'm thinking maybe it is just his personality, as I'm not seeing it from the other male., it makes me anxious about putting him back into the larger tank again ngl.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back