Plecos From Warm To Coldish..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vicious

Reaction score
Howsit,

I have a few plecos that are getting too big for my 100g/4ft tank, I want to put them in the pond outside, good idea or not? I've seen as many yes as no answers all over the place and it seems you just get strong plecos that don't mind too much and then also softer ones who just don't want to, advice from anyone who has actually moved larger plecos from a nice warm indoor tank, to a much larger, but colder, outdoor pond, would be amazing. 

Thanks,

Vic.

Depends on the type. I have heard that rubberlip plecos can handle cooler conditions but the common variety CANNOT. this I know from experience >.< 

One thing missing so far is the actual temperature.  What exactly is "colder?"  In South Africa, where Vic lives, I doubt "colder" means as cold as we experience in North America.  TTA provided a link to a site that will give the temperature range for the species; if it is maintained within this range, it should be fine.  If the species is suited to the "colder" temperature (and keep in mind night-time cooler temps too), acclimate it gradually and there should be no issues, provided the pond has the other requirements for the species (some need flowing water, some don't, etc).

Byron.

Reminds me of an article I saw on planet catfish  while back about people using plecos to keep algae down in unused swimming pools in the florida area. The fish seemed healthy enough and I think the only bones of contention were about the risk of them escaping into the local environment.

For the most part plecos are tropical fish. Now if one is willing to expand one's view to all of the Loricariidae, then you will ind some that live in places early on in the Amazon source waters which may work. I recently attended a presentation by Shane Linder (of Shane's World). He discussed diversity and location within the system. One of the things discusses was how the diversity of the Loricariids starts out nearest the Andes as being single species. Then as the water moves closer to the Amazon itself the water warms, the flow decreases and the habitats become more varied and begin to support more and more species in the same places.

The Loricariidae close to the source are in cooler waters.

The Loricariidae or Suckermouth Armored Catfish Family has over 600 members found in Central and South America. It includes, among others, the genera Ancistrus, Chaetostoma, Farlowella, Hypancistrus, Hypoptopoma, Hypostomus, Otocinclus, Panaque, Peckoltia, Pterygoplichthys, Rineloricaria, Scobinancistrus, and Sturisoma.
from http://fish.mongabay.com/loricariidae.htm

Those common plecos in Florida canals normally tolerate temps from 66 - 86F.

Here is a link I hope will work. It should give you 100 catfish that will live in cooler water http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/search_result.php?temp_min=21.0&temp_max=24.0&tempunit=deg_c&order=species&results=100

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back