Pleco

Wedge

Reaction score
Hi

I worried, ive just noticed my clown plec (5", ive had him 6 mths) has what looks like a collyflower on his nose? its white, and looks kinda soft.

Help :sad:

Hi Wedge :)

It sounds like your pleco might have a bacterial infection caused by the Columnaris and/or Aeromonas bacteria.

This develops when conditions allow a fish to become stressed and his immune system to become weakened. These conditions include, but are not limited to overcrowding, uneaten food in the tank, low oxygen content in the water, sudden increase in water temperature, elevated nitrites, insufficient or infrequent water changes.

If you were in the US, I would recommend that you use antibiotics to treat this condition, but since you are in the UK, I will suggest you try Waterlife’s Myxazin or Interpet’s Anti-Fungus and Finrot. King British also makes an anti bacterial infection medicine that I have heard very good reports about.

Please do a good water change and tank cleaning before starting the treatment and keep you water temperature no higher than 24 degrees C., and make sure that your tank has good water circulation so that there is plenty of oxygen in the water.

Once the problem is cured, I suggest you increase the size and/or frequency of water changes to prevent its recurrence.

Hi Thx 4 the advice, is this a serious condition?

I have managed a piccy, buggers difficult to take a piccy of :rolleyes:

plec.JPG

Not great i know :*)

Hi... I know this is off topic but... is that piccy of your " clown" pleco? If it is, then it doesn't look like a clown pleco to me.

These are Clown Plecs...

It looks more like a Sailfin Pleco... maybe someone can confirm this.

Chris

Yes, it's a very serious condition. :nod:

If you don't take care of it it can devastate fins and tails, ruin the fish's' mouths and kill them. It will also spread.

The bacteria that cause this are always present in the tanks, but only make fish sick when they have been weakened by the conditions I mentioned above. It's really important that you increase water changes and cleanings and treat this fish.

Thanks for your advise again :thumbs:

I have done a near complete water change, added stress coat and Anti fin-rot treatment.

My temps were a bit high, 28 degrees, toned that down to 24 as advised, i will keep you informed of her condition.

ps. thanks for the id Chris :*)

That looks like a bad case. :sad: Does there seem to be any inprovement? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back