Please Identify The "mysterious" Eggs.

ninadk

Reaction score
Hi All,

Please have a look at the image, those are some eggs in my tank. However, they are not inside the water, but above the level of water. I can tell you one thing, a day before, the water level of my tank was a bit higher, but after noticing it, I removed some water.
 Still , there is no way to tell if the eggs were laid by somebody from the tank.

My tank has the following species:
4 blue angels, a dozen neon+cardinals, pair of  ramirezi's, 4 assasins and a pair of bristlenose plecos.

Could you please help in identifying who might be owning these eggs?

-Ninad

Attachments

• angel.JPG
    angel.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 212
  • eggs.JPG
    eggs.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 176
  • assasin.JPG
    assasin.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 180
  • pleco.JPG
    pleco.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 183
They aren't assassin eggs, those are white packages with a small white dot in the middle, angels tend to lay their eggs on something in the tank (mine used to lay on the filter or slate), my rams lay on the bogwood, cardinals scatter and plecos usually in their cave so im stumped, maybe an insect tank likes damp and warm places?

They do look a little like angel eggs but im not sure how they would manage to lay so close to the surface

Bright yellow Angel eggs isn't right though? Unless my eye sight is off, or they've gone all hard outside of the water and changed colour?

7193031888_5bf6092b03_o.jpg

Angel eggs are either brownish/clear if they are fertile or white if they are infertile.
Bristlenose eggs are orange/yellow and are normally in a big jelly clump like frog spawn.

p735249476.jpg

Even I was thinking that maybe they could be from the plecos. Probably, they laid when the water level was high. What do you suggest, should I raise the water level again? I am not sure if they should be pushed in the water for fear of breaking them or being eaten by the fish.
However, I doubt, after being out of water for more than 24hours, is there any chance, if they are from the tank species, they would survive?

ninadk said:
Even I was thinking that maybe they could be from the plecos. Probably, they laid when the water level was high. What do you suggest, should I raise the water level again? I am not sure if they should be pushed in the water for fear of breaking them or being eaten by the fish.
However, I doubt, after being out of water for more than 24hours, is there any chance, if they are from the tank species, they would survive?

I'd probably say no..

You haven't forgotten to mention any cories in the tank, have you? :D

Bn like to spawn in tight holes. But they clump their eggs as noted. Angels tend to lay on leaves as in the pic. But the one thing for sure is fish most eggs should not be out of the water.

If it is angels you can check their undersides, their tubes may still be down. Look between the long thin ventral fins and the anal fin.

I wonder how the eggs got on the glass?

here are angel eggs
ANgel%26Eggs-M.jpg

Here is an angel with its tube extended:
AngelTube1-M.jpg

And here are bn eggs laid inside a sponge filter
BN%20eggs%20in%20sponge%20filter%202-M.jpg

Hmm...

TwoTankAmin said:
Bn like to spawn in tight holes. But they clump their eggs as noted. Angels tend to lay on leaves as in the pic. But the one thing for sure is fish most eggs should not be out of the water.

If it is angels you can check their undersides, their tubes may still be down. Look between the long thin ventral fins and the anal fin.

I wonder how the eggs got on the glass?

Checked the angels, you are right. It's not their eggs. However, like I mentioned earlier, I guess the reason the eggs are on the glass, out of water is because I reduced the water level.
Another possiblity is, these could be of some insect, probably dragonfly, who lay their eggs in or close to water.

I suppose only time will tell!
unsure.png

Any other snails? Apple Snails in particular?

MBOU said:
Any other snails? Apple Snails in particular?
No other snails.
The eggs hatched yesterday, and I guess they were from some fly.
huh.png

Attaching the image.

Attachments

• hatchedEggs.JPG
    hatchedEggs.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 224
That was disappointing :(
Next time , I definitely won't be counting the chickens...
no.gif

Most reactions

Back