please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
I have recently set up a ten gallon tank with a red eft and some ghost shrimp. I have it half full of water and enough gravel to reach the surface of the water.(aprx. 7 inch) I got on here and read about toxic anaerobic air bubbles and I became concerned. My newt needs some land so I just dumped in a bunch of gravel. He really seems to like it. He can climb up his little underwater gravel mountain. But this toxic bubble thing is a real problem in this situation. So what do I do. I was thinking of getting some cheap tupper-wear and drilling a couple of holes in the top so they sink. Then stacking them so that they will fill in the extra space underneath all of that gravel. I think this would decrease the depth of the gravel from around 7" to about 1 1/2". Is this a good idea. Can anyone think of another? Also I am in the process of planting the tank with bulbs from wall-mart so time is of the essence. The bulbs have not rooted yet so it won't be a problem rearanging the gravel. Thanks in advance

Have you considered using rocks, with a sprinkling of gravel to even it all out? It'd make cleaning the tank easier, and you won't suffer from anaerobic poisoning.

Hope this helps :)

Maybe even a stack of slate. I had a terrarium with a shelf that only had 1 - 2 inches of water and it worked great for newts. You may be able to do something like this with stacking your slate unequally (yet sturdily of course).

This way the gravel is only in the bottom of your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back