Please Help - Need New Fish

just-a-girl

Reaction score
Hey, i've got two normal goldfish in a five gallon freshwater tank. I want more fish cos Gypsy and Jack (my goldfish) are looking lonely in that big tank..
what other fish can i get? I want prettier ones other then common goldfish (no offence to Gypsy and Jack)! :lol:
i love my fish and really dont want them to get eaten or anything :unsure:

Hi there and welcome to the beginners section!

With a nice 5 US gallon you could have a nice betta fish or a nice little community of smaller tropical fish and really begin to get yourself into a wonderful hobby!

Unfortunately you are going to have to go through something tough first: Gypsy and Jack are going to need to be "re-homed" back to the store or to a friend with a pond. These are really pond fish (unless you were to have very, very large tanks devoted just to them.) In their current situation their organs will grow too large for their bodies and it would be a sad situation. Society, unfortunately, has passed along mostly wrong information about goldfish. The first common goldie needs 30g (fancy's need 20g) and each succeeding added goldfish needs another 10g, and this is with no other fish and is a minimum that's not really great for the fish even at that.

Tropical fish keeping is a wonderful hobby and I recommend you remain here with us and let the wonderful members here help you experience it in the best way possible.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Okay...so if i put Gypsy and Jack in a smaller coldwater tank or a pond, will they be okay then?

Then, what fish can i get? I dont want them too big and i dont want anybody getting eaten :lol:

Pond definitely, NOT a smaller tank! In 5gallons all you should really keep is a betta with some shrimp OR a trio of guppies.

If you want to put your goldfish together somewhere, it should be in something that holds at least 40 gallons of water. That is why WD recommended that you move them out of that tiny 5 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back