PLEASE HELP my VERY SICK Dragon Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jrd77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My new dragon fish has had ich since the day after he came home from our LFS and thus is still in the 10 gallon...

Dragon fish apparently don't like light so the light is only on for an hour or two per day...I have raised the temp to 82F to speed up the parasites' life cycle and have been putting 1 teaspoon of Ich Gurad II (for scaleless fish active ingredients: formalin 37%, victoria green, nitromersol, & acriflavine) in every morning. The activated carbon filter has been removed as well. In addition, when I did my two water changes (focusing on the bottom of the tank to get out the parasites that live there) thus far, I have put two rounded tablespoons of aquarium salt in the tank. Not only is the ich not clearing up, it is getting worse as there are more spots on the fish now on the gills and fins.

Now, he's gasping for breath at the top of the tank and breathing very heavily. What am I doing wrong?! Am I going to lose him?????

Should I raise the temp even higher?
Can this fish tolerate even more salt and/or Ich Guard II?
Is there anything else I can do?

For clarification since there are tons of fish associated with the common name dragon fish, my dragon fish is Gobioides broussonetti or the violet goby/dragon eel.

:sad:

Remove the salt, do you have an airstone running as meds take 02 out of the water, dilute the med the fish isn't coping.

DO NOT remove the salt this species of dragon goby is a true brackish fish.

you need to get your a hydrometer and get some proper salt levels up in there. your probable going to be best off bringing him up slowly to 1.010 but if you start by getting the water to 1.005 then settle him into like slowly by putting him into a bucket and adding a bit of water every 20 mins or so until the water is of the same SG level of the tank.

here's some info on keeping and setting up a brackish tank.

the ICH will be related to the stress of not having brackish water, if you get this done in time ytou still might save him.

Sorry I thought you said he was a scaless fish.

they are scaleless, yet they are definately brackish fish. And from many peoples experience very difficult to feed correctly.

Well since this has to be done slowly, there are now 6 tablespoons of salt for the 10 gallon (as opposed to 2 the other day)...I have 4 more to go...

He's still not doing well. The ich is on the inside of his mouth and all over his gills. Even if he does survive, I can't keep him so all I'm hoping is the get him better so he can go back to the store. The 10 gallon will not work for him b/c its so small, not to mention, its my quaratine tank and a quaratine tank can't be brackish for freshwater fish...

we'll see...

And yeah, he won't eat...no even ghost shrimp.

Thanks for the advice.

Or poor thing sounds in a bad way, good luck anyway.

Yeah I was told they were filter feeders and some other people on the board told me that was insane and to feed him ghost shrimp.

I've put blood worms down there...he wont eat them. Its been over two weeks now since he's "eaten" What do I put in the water?

The ich is still really bad....

It can be hard to get these guys to eat at first and it doesn't make matters any easier that your poor guy is sick.

All of the info I've read says they can't handle much more than a newborn guppy and that's when they're full grown. So yeah baby ghost shrimp (newborns) would work but I don't think he'll feel like hunting. Mine like blood worms but you could also try plankton or mysis and see if he likes that any better.

How long have you had him? If he's swimming around at the top he's stressing out. Maybe adding a hiding spot would help.

Adrea

:(

I got him 2/20 and on the morning of 2/21 he became ill...and gets wrose and worse.

Today might be the day he goes on to a better place and I need your help. I just looked at him this morning and on his left side the gill area is beginning to come apart, leaving the red part exposed...he's laying at the bottom of the tank gasping for breath. He looks so bad and I feel helpless. I've done all the meds I can and I've brought the tank to as near brackish as I can...now he's literally falling apart. The ich is still really bad and now we have something new to deal with in that the side of his head is disintegrating.

Should I euthanize him and put him out of his misery? If so, is there any other way that chopping off his little head or taking him to a vet? What's everyone's take on this alka-selzer thing?

Please advise...it's hard to see any living thing suffer....

:no:

Ok, if he looks that bad, it is probally time to euthanize. I Hate to say it.

Have you done any water changes since you've got him? Could have an ammonia/nitrite problem. Unfortunately anything I do at this point is guessing.

But here's my go at it. Do a water change, 50%. Try to match temp exactly. Be sure to add the salt into the new water too.

Continue to add the ick guard meds. possibly try some melafix. And it probally wouldnt' hurt to throw an antibacterial in.

However I am guessing.

Try getting a turkey baster full of daphnia, put infront of its mouth and squirt some out bit by bit (if it's not too late). They are mainly filter feeders, and directional feeding might strengthen him up.

good luck

Another thought here......

A freind pointed out that if the fish has been living in brackish water (was it at the store you got it from?) then it could maybe be controlled by going back to fresh....

Adrea

Wow guys...thanks so much.

Okay, he apparently came from brackish into fresh and got ich...so, I SLOWLY made the tank brackish and he's getting worse...so should I go back to fresh? AND I thought salt killed the ich...why is the ich worse if the tank is now brackish? I'm confused.

When I do the change I'll put more meds, including melafix in...it can't hurt at thise point. If it gets any worse, I'll send him to a better place but I love him so much and really want to save him....

I'll get some daphnia tomorrow and try giving him some. What a good idea. Thanks.

:S

I'll keep you all posted on him...

Most reactions

Back