Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just done a water test and my results are as follows:

Nitrate 160
Nitrite 0.5
PH 7.5
KH 180
GH 180

I have a 80 litre tank with 5 black widow tetras, 3 sail fin mollies and 1 plec.

I'm not sure what exactly the results mean and if I need to change something what changes would I need to make?

Thank you

Although test strips aren't very accurate, these results are showing very high nitrate levels, which will need bringing down with water changes.

Nitrate that high indicates two things; either your regular water changes aren't large enough, or you're badly overstocked.

How big and how often are your water changes, and do you know what species your plec is?

If the fish have been living in high nitrate water for a long time, it can shock them to change it too quickly, so you should do a series of smaller water changes over a week or so, rather than one large one.

I would take that nitrate reading with a pinch of salt, liquid nitrate tests aren't amazing, with test strips you might as well guess. I'd also question the nitrite reading as well. If you can I'd take a water sample to your local fish shop for testing and make a note of the results. Also it is worthwhile investing in a good liquid test kit, personally I'd recommend the Salifert test kits, they're the most accurate and precise I've come across in the hobby.

How long has the tank been running? I also feel the tank is too small for the sail fin mollys long term - and do you know what Species of pleco you have?

I have been using the tetra 6 in 1 strips for some time I have gradually been comparing the strip results with test solutions and, lab and water quality reports form my area and a PH and TDS meters that are calibrated. The Tetra 6 in 1 strips are accurate for PH, GH,and nitrate. KH and Cl test are also probably accurate based on what I have seen. I cannot validate the nitrite test because I cannot make a test solution for it. The test strips are no worse than any other popular aquarium test kit.

I have just done a water test and my results are as follows:

Nitrate 160
Nitrite 0.5
PH 7.5
KH 180
GH 180

As stated earlier nitrate is very high Idealy we want to see nitrate no higher than 20ppm. GH of 180 indicates hard water. KH of 180 is OK but I would not want to see it any higher. Using your strips test your tap water. If the tap water reading are significantly different you are not cycling your water out of the tank often enough or frequently enough. Generally most people here do Remove and discard about 30 to 50% of the tank water once a week. If you don't cycle water out of the tank nitrates and organics will build up over time due to fish wast. GH and KH will also increase as water evaporates.

Nitrites are toxic and weldon't want to see them above 0.5. If the lives are higher than 0.5 you should cycle water out of your tank more often (once a day if possible) and if possible do more than 50% of the water volume. You should continue to cycle water out until nitrite levels are safe Fish waist creates Ammonia (also toxic) bacteria in your tank convert it to nitrite and then bacteria convert the nitrite to nitrate which is the least toxic form of nitrogen. In and established tank ammonia and and nitrite are frequently not detected with aquarium test kits. If your tank was recently set up it may not yet have enough bacteria to handle all the ammonia and nitrite. For more information on the nitrogen cycle follow this link.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

PH is a measure of of the water acidity or alkaline level. PH above 7 is alkaline. PH below 7 is acidic. In general we want to keep the water between 6 and 8. Outside of those levels the fish could be harmed or killed. The PH depends on the water chemistry. Using chemicals to alter PH is not recommended.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back