Please Help Identify This Sailfin Pleco

no, you are mistaken, i never said mine was a common pleco....i said it was a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps

Which is a common sailfin XD

which is not a common pleco....would u consider a gold spot pleco a common pleco?.....going by what you just said it would be a "common gold spot pleco"?

I have just edited my post to explain what I mean. I didn't think of explaining it at first but did after I'd posted, sorry about that.
Also, there is no "Gold Spot" pleco unless you mean the species Paraotocinclus Spilosoma.

Ah ok, my tank upgrades should suit his growth well enough then. At the moment he is only about 2.5 inches if that, cute little #28### haha. Yeah I have got him in a 40L for now with one small and one medium/large piece of bogwood, which has leaked a fair few tannins, but yeah 1-2 months 200L tank will be ready for him to play around in. Seems like I'm doing alright so far
smile.png
thanks for your responses and your help. I might make a journal/progress log of his growth and my tank upgrades over time...

No problem and would love to see it. Yeah sounds like you have everything all good so far :)

i dont have time to sit here and run around in circles all day long with you chasing our tails....i know what i saw in my own tank, and i was giving the OP info based on that....i have been in this game for over 25 years, and i have over 12 tanks, 6 of them being 180 gallon+....i think its safe to say i know how to keep and feed a pleco cat.....good day to you

i dont have time to sit here and run around in circles all day long with you chasing our tails....i know what i saw in my own tank, and i was giving the OP info based on that....i have been in this game for over 25 years, and i have over 12 tanks, 6 of them being 180 gallon+....i think its safe to say i know how to keep a feed a pleco cat.....good day to you

Well I have seen an adult Sailfin being kept with fish as small as Micro Rasboras. I'm not saying you didn't see it I'm trying to work out why it would do it :/

Mikey1 said:
i dont have time to sit here and run around in circles all day long with you chasing our tails....i know what i saw in my own tank, and i was giving the OP info based on that....i have been in this game for over 25 years, and i have over 12 tanks, 6 of them being 180 gallon+....i think its safe to say i know how to keep and feed a pleco cat.....good day to you

With all due respect, playing the "I've had x years of doing whatever" card means absolutely squat, it does not automatically mean that how you have kept fish is any better than someone else, or you are right and everyone else is wrong. Anyone can write anything on a forum provided it abides by the rules of a forum, each person posting in a thread is only expressing the own view and/or experience.

You jumped to conclusions that because a pleco was reported by Paradise to be eating other fish, the pleco killed them, but that was not stated either way. Chances are, like most fish in the hobby, the pleco was scavaging on the dead corpses (as opposed to outright stalking/killing like my Ctenopoma acutirostre; Pantodon buchholzi; Chrichthys ornatus; Nomorhamphus hageni would do with small fish).

Notice I used the latin species names? This cuts out ambiguity as to what fish is being referred to, for instance I would call a "common pleco" Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. ;)

N0body Of The Goat said:

With all due respect, playing the "I've had x years of doing whatever" card means absolutely squat, it does not automatically mean that how you have kept fish is any better than someone else, or you are right and everyone else is wrong. Anyone can write anything on a forum provided it abides by the rules of a forum, each person posting in a thread is only expressing the own view and/or experience.

You jumped to conclusions that because a pleco was reported by Paradise to be eating other fish, the pleco killed them, but that was not stated either way. Chances are, like most fish in the hobby, the pleco was scavaging on the dead corpses (as opposed to outright stalking/killing like my Ctenopoma acutirostre; Pantodon buchholzi; Chrichthys ornatus; Nomorhamphus hageni would do with small fish).

Notice I used the latin species names? This cuts out ambiguity as to what fish is being referred to, for instance I would call a "common pleco" Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus.
wink.png

Thank you. I would use Latin names but still learning them all XD
Also, I did state afterwards that what I had meant was that the pleco was accused of killing and eating the fish but that we later found out that the fish were dying and the pleco was eating the bodies.

Most reactions

Back