Please Help Identify This Sailfin Pleco

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TaurineLittle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, so recently I bought a new catfish from a fish shop on the other side of my city and the owner sold it to me as a Sailfin Pleco, the thing is he couldn't talk enough english to establish what kind of Sailfin this was. But I bought it anyway because it looked amazing and I knew that its possible for these to hit 50cm long (I plan to make my next 500L planted tank project with the fish in mind so he should have enough room).
So, basically I've tried to do some research around the internet and established that its possibly either the Pterygoplichthys Parnaibae or its the Pterygoplichthys Joselimaianus, quite possibly even a hybrid but not sure... If I could get some help identifying my new favourite fish it would be greatly appreciated.
laugh.png

View attachment 68596
He was camera shy so the only way I could get a decent photo was to bribe him with an algae disc.

Size of tank now? It's most likely a common pleco.

looks like a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps

i will warn you ahead of time, they can become very aggressive when they reach breeding size, specifically during feeding times.....i had to get rid of mine because he was attacking my tinfoil barbs (which were double his size) to the point he was ripping their scales off

and they get HUGE!

At the moment I've only got a 40L tank, but in a few months I should be getting a 200L at least, and I'm only going bigger from there.
As far as I know he is most likely not a common pleco, his dorsal fin has over 10 rays (closer to 15-16 rays) and colouration is quite different.
With gibbiceps, I'm not sure... A reference or an image would be awesome though.
Mikey1, at the moment he isn't aggressive at all, he is the only pleco and the only bottom feeder in my tank. I'll keep it in mind and watch if his attitude changes with time, thanks for the heads up.
From what I've researched this is the closest I have found (http://www.searchfish.org/fish/29128/pterygoplichthys-parnaibae/)

At the moment I've only got a 40L tank, but in a few months I should be getting a 200L at least, and I'm only going bigger from there.
As far as I know he is most likely not a common pleco, his dorsal fin has over 10 rays (closer to 15-16 rays) and colouration is quite different.
With gibbiceps, I'm not sure... A reference or an image would be awesome though.
Mikey1, at the moment he isn't aggressive at all, he is the only pleco and the only bottom feeder in my tank. I'll keep it in mind and watch if his attitude changes with time, thanks for the heads up.
From what I've researched this is the closest I have found (http://www.searchfis...thys-parnaibae/)

he wont get aggressive till he reaches breeding size, so at least 4-5 inches.....even a 200L tank would be eventually too small

he wont get aggressive till he reaches breeding size, so at least 4-5 inches.....even a 200L tank would be eventually too small

Yeah, at the moment he is only 6cm (2.5 inches?). and the 200L will only be temporary, I'll be getting that in about 2-3 months and possibly the 500L in about 6-8 months.
Is their breeding size really only 4-5 inches? seems rather small compared to their maximum size of 20 inches. Also I saw that the owner that I bought my fish off of had the same pleco but it was about 10-12 inches and was in a bare community tank, I asked him about it and he told me he hasn't had any issues with aggression... Wether he had a placid pleco or not i don't know lol

I would skip the 200 and just go straight to the 500.

Buy the tank then the fish in future.

Wills

I would skip the 200 and just go straight to the 500.

Buy the tank then the fish in future.

Wills

I'v had my current tank for a while and only just got back into the hobby (had to stop for a lack of money) and will be getting the 200L in a few months for free off a mate, and so I'll use the 200L to practice and experiment with aquascaping for when I get around to setting up the big one so I know exactly how I'm going to set it out. As for the fish, I bought it knowing how big it was going to get and knowing that I will be getting bigger tanks before it gets too big for them.

I suggest rehoming it. Large plecos need good care and massive tanks. If your not getting a 500 now then don't buy a fishy that won't fit xD

Heh yeah, fair enough. He shouldn't get too big for my tank in the next couple months. If he does and his growth is considerably faster than I read and anticipated I'll buy the 500L in a month or so and skip the free 200L =)

I don't honestly see the problem with upgrading to a 200L tank that is free whilst you are still saving up for a 500L odd tank. Your biggest problem is that in the long run, 500L might not be big enough.... IMO 5x2x2 is an *absolute* minumim for plec like that... seriously minimum....abd that works out as about 570L.

Yeah, for them to hit full size doesn't it take a year or two? wait... 5x2x2 (im assuming thats feet) is that 570L? oh then the one I'll be saving up for and upgrading too will be larger than that... i was thinking of maybe a 6x2x2 or 7x2x2 10mm glass ofc, I guess my volume calculations were off by a bit haha xD

I don't honestly see the problem with upgrading to a 200L tank that is free whilst you are still saving up for a 500L odd tank. Your biggest problem is that in the long run, 500L might not be big enough.... IMO 5x2x2 is an *absolute* minumim for plec like that... seriously minimum....abd that works out as about 570L.

A 6x2x2 is 582 litres
confused.gif

So how is a 5x2x2 570 litres? Even if it was full to the brim and empty of everything but water a 5x2x2 would only be 540 litres.

I can't see the picture so can't comment on the pleco.

looks like a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps

i will warn you ahead of time, they can become very aggressive when they reach breeding size, specifically during feeding times.....i had to get rid of mine because he was attacking my tinfoil barbs (which were double his size) to the point he was ripping their scales off

and they get HUGE!
They only get aggressive to their own species and other pleco's. My partner has a huge 18" one at the shop he works in(it's a constant resident, lives there cause it's his old one that outgrew his 4ft tank) and that's docile as anything.

HTML:
A 6x2x2 is 582 litres
confused.gif

So how is a 5x2x2 570 litres? Even if it was full to the brim and empty of everything but water a 5x2x2 would only be 540 litres.

Haha never was great with volume and area in school, do you think a 6x2x2 or a 7x2x2 would be better? Is bigger always better?

Sorry for some reason my profile and posts are acting up atm. Not sure whats wrong, I'll link the image instead.

8401693741_7cfb856ec6_z.jpg

HTML:
A 6x2x2 is 582 litres
confused.gif

Haha never was great with volume and area in school, do you think a 6x2x2 or a 7x2x2 would be better? Is bigger always better?

Sorry for some reason my profile and posts are acting up atm. Not sure whats wrong, I'll link the image instead.

8401693741_7cfb856ec6_z.jpg

Looks like a pretty little Pterygoplichthys Parnaibae to me. And yes bigger is always better. Though according to Planet Catfish if he is a Pterygoplichthys Parnaibae then he'll only get to 12" long :/ I find that hard to believe since I've seen them bigger... I'd say minimum of 6x2x2 and if he still only get's to 12" then you know he's a Pterygoplichthys Parnaibae.

Most reactions

Back