Please help; Betta Fish (less than a year old) losing pigmentation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is my first betta and I tried my best to do everything right by him but now I feel like I've failed him.
You did all right for the first year. Most people kill their fish in the first 2 weeks so you're ahead of them :)

Bettas don't live that long and usually die after 2 or 3 years, sometimes they last longer (5 or 6 years) but that is uncommon. But it depends on how old the fish was when you got it, and that is virtually impossible to know unless you bought it from a breeder. But chances are the fish is middle aged and its immune system is not as good as it use to be and it just got sick.

---------------------
You can do a 100% water change each day as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank, and as long as it has a similar temperature and chemistry (pH & GH) to the tank water. If you are using the same water supply for water changes, then it should have the same chemistry.

Normally tho a 75-80% water change done each day for a week will get rid of most things in the water. This lets the fish sit in a bit of water at the bottom of the tank but still dilutes and removes most of the chemicals and disease organisms in the water. Again tho, any new water has to be free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

---------------------
Water changes don't normally affect the beneficial filter bacteria that like to live on hard surfaces like the glass, gravel and filter materials. There will be a small amount of beneficial bacteria in the water but the amount is tiny and not worth worrying about. Most of the good bacteria will be living in and on the filter materials.

---------------------
Broad spectrum medications are made by most fish companies but you try to find one that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoan infections. They usually contain Methylene Blue, Malachite Green & Formalin (Formaldehyde). Some won't have Methylene Blue but most contain Malachite Green and Formaldehyde or a form of Formaldehyde.

Methylene Blue will wipe out filter bacteria and can stain the silicon (glue holding the glass tank together) blue but it does not cause any damage to the silicon. It just makes it blue. But you need to monitor ammonia and nitrite if using this.

Malachite Green is carcinogenic so wash your hands with soapy water after using medications or working in the tank.

Formaldehyde is a preservative and can cause health issues too.

Fortunately there are only small amounts of these chemicals going into the tank and these get diluted out quickly when you do water changes. But regular exposure or prolonged exposure can be harmful so handle with care and wash up after using them.

*NB* Keep medications and test kits in a cool dry place away from children and animals.

---------------------
Furan 2 will treat more types of bacteria so covers a wider range or possible targets and is generally considered safer than Kanamycin, so it is probably the better choice out of the 2 medications. You will still have to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels after using it because it will probably wipe out the filter bacteria.

---------------------
Melafix and Pimafix (not sure about Bettafix because I have never used it) contain Tea Tree oil and makes your aquarium smell like a Eucalyptus tree after it has rained, but in my experience it doesn't help with fish diseases. I found cleaning the tank conditions up (big daily water changes, gravel cleaning the substrate, cleaning the inside of the glass and cleaning the filter) make more of a difference than them.

Bettafix, fixes your Betta but might also kill it. Therefore it fixes the problem the Betta had but creates a different problem, which fish to buy as a replacement for the one you killed :)

Yes I noticed they were advertising the product as treats fungus and bacteria on their website, and I have sent them an email asking them why?
They are potentially using false or misleading advertising on this product.
I got a response from SeaChem about why they advertise Kanaplex (an anti-biotic) as a fungal and bacterial treatment. My email to them is below and their response is under that.

------------------------
My email to SeaChem...

I am curious as to why your website says Seachem KanaPlex treats fungal and bacterial fish diseases?

Kanaplex contains Kanamycin, which is an antibiotic. This only kills bacteria and does not kill fungus.

Is there anther product in Seachem KanaPlex that treats fungal infections?
If not, I think you should change your website so it does not say treats fungal infections.

You should probably inform people that misuse or improper use of antibiotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria in fish and other animals, including people.

----------------------------
Their response

Thanks for the email. I'm sorry that you think our description of KanaPlex is misleading, however, the reason for this is because the majority of "fungal" infections in the aquarium hobby are actually bacterial infections that have been mis-diagnosed. We typically never recommend using any of our antibiotics unless you know for sure you are dealing with a true infection. Again, often times this is very difficult to decide unless you are actually taking skin scrapes of the fish to determine the true diagnosis. All of our medications are very mild on the fish and will not lead to internal damage unless grossly overused. When using any medication, there is always potential for the bacteria and/or parasite to become resistant, however, when using our medications as recommended this should not be an issue. We generally recommend our SulfaPlex for true fungal infections.

I hope this helps! Should you require further assistance please let us know!

----------------------------

I agree with Colin in above posts. 1. The fish could have the marbling gene and just changing colors. Wouldn’t worry about it unless he shows signs of illness. 2. I use Kanaplex and it never bothers my bb but my tanks are well established. 3. I also useSulfaplex but better response with Kanaplex. 4. When in doubt, do lots of water changes before heading for meds. Good luck with your betta.

Thanks, Colin for checking into the Kanaplex. I thought it treated bacterial also. Good lesson for today! Seachem is misleading on this info.

Bettas don't live that long and usually die after 2 or 3 years, sometimes they last longer (5 or 6 years) but that is uncommon

Bettas don't live long because of the way people keep and feed them.

Bettas can easily live for 5 years or more if cared for correctly, 7 years is not uncommon for a well cared for Betta.

This is a death bowl, your fish will be lucky to see 2 years in this.

c8921391003a77952baf73385fd6ea7c--betta-fish-tank-fish-tanks.jpg

This is a 15 gallon Betta tank with clean water and good food there is no reason your fish cant live 5 or more years.
CJDjCcn.jpg

I just wanted to update those who helped me. I ended up treating Alan with kanaplex and it didnt seem to help. I then cleaned his entire tank and added aquarium salt and water conditioner. He still seemed to be getting worse. As a final last stitch effort before I let him live out his life in peace, I tried a fin and body cure by API, because I thought maybe he had some type of fin rot that might have only been affecting his scales. Yesterday was the second dose, and today I find him like this. He looks so much better, almost like hes getting his color back and made a huge bubble nest. Here's a comparison shot! Left is on december 5th, right is today. I am taking it as a good sign.

Attachments

• alan.jpg
    alan.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 130
The API fin and body cure contains Doxycycline (an anti-biotic) that might have wiped out the filter bacteria. You should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels over the next month and do a 75% water change any time you have any ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.

Good to hear he seems to be doing better.

Great news. I would continue with water changes too.

Most reactions

trending

Back