Playsand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adam98150

Fish Addict
Reaction score
With me getting a new tank soon i was thinking of changing the substrate to sand for my bottom dwellers, just wondering if it is safe? (I know its childrens playsand but do they put anything in it, or is it just sand?)
Also, another problem is i wanted to purchase the sand from B&Q, yet their are two different type's.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?...amp;x=0&y=0

The two top items, the first one is called play-pit sand in 'natural' colour. And the other just 'Playsand'. So which one! (Or should i buy from a pet store)
Cheers, Adam.

as long as its silica and not calcium carbonate....

Argos play sand is perfectly ok m8 , iv had it in all 3 tanks for over a year now without problems, looks great as well ..

Kev

Argos play sand is perfectly ok m8 , iv had it in all 3 tanks for over a year now without problems, looks great as well ..

Kev

Slightly different to what sand to use,

but what are the benefits / drawbacks of using sand against gravel ??? i think the only fish in my aquarium it may have an affect on are the 2 upside down cat fish and a pair of Kribensis that i have. is this true ???

i also have 2x ram (1 fire-mouth 1 Bolivian) 2x Opaline Gourami & 2x Rainbow fish in the tank. would sand be more benefit to gravel ???

any input much appreciated

Scott

Thanks, ill buy the argos sand! And give it a good clean.
Right, scotty, it is better for many bottom dwellers as it is finer/smoother than gravel. It is also a must for scale-less fish eg. spiny eels. ;)

Most of my fish are bottom dwellers (corydoras) and I still waffle between sand and fine gravel. Each has its good points and its drawbacks.

I use play sand, which is supposed to be less likely to have sharp edges than builders sand. It works well, is easy to keep clean, and looks nice, but boring. It tends to shift so that there are bare spots in the tank and thicker layers in other parts. It cannot be kept too deep or it will compact and gas pockets will form, Of course, the shifting and compacting can be repaired by simply running your fingers through the sand at water change time.

The gravel I use looks like this:

10-15-07Cnarcissus1.jpg

If you look at the individual pieces, you'll see that they are all rounded and fairly small. The corys can move them around with their barbels to hunt for bits of food or worms that have escaped into it. It's attractive and interesting to look at. However, it does need more attention when it comes time for the weekly vacuuming. Instead of just sweeping the siphon over it, like with sand, it's usually necessary to insert the end of the siphon into the gravel and move it around to suck up the dirt and any uneaten food that might have filtered down into it. Like sand, a shallow layer (1" deep or less) is easier to maintain.

If you select either substrate carefully, avoiding sharp edges that will erode delicate barbells, it will be safe for most bottom dwellers. Then the only problem becomes one of cleanliness, which is essential for keeping them alive and in good health. It's best to avoid coarse gravel or pebbles since food becomes too easily trapped between them and the fish are unable to move the heavier pieces to get to it. This can then become an excellent medium for the growth of harmful bacteria.

I have the B&Q 'Play-Pit Sand Natural' stuff, here's what it looks like:
1373058413_f9d64fce78.jpg

I prefer it to the argos sand, It's less bright and just looks more 'natural' IMO, plus fish poop doesnt stand out as much on it...:D.
I only gave it a quick rinse before putting it in the tank, the water was cloudy from silt (which is harmless to the fish) for a couple of days, but was then crystal clear.

I have the B&Q 'Play-Pit Sand Natural' stuff, here's what it looks like:
1373058413_f9d64fce78.jpg

I prefer it to the argos sand, It's less bright and just looks more 'natural' IMO, plus fish poop doesnt stand out as much on it...:D.
I only gave it a quick rinse before putting it in the tank, the water was cloudy from silt (which is harmless to the fish) for a couple of days, but was then crystal clear.

Thanks! So all these sands are safe? How long have you had the playpit sand in your tank and is their any problems with it?
Also i want to purchase a spiny eel, will the argos playsand be ABSOLUTELY safe? To both this and my other fish

I used the B&Q Play Sand that is in their standard packaging with lots of pink on it. I washed it for about an hour, tiring but the water was clear in about 10 minutes of putting it in. Had it in my wee tank since May and in my big tank since July and it's been fine :)

Thanks! So all these sands are safe?
Yep :good: .
How long have you had the playpit sand in your tank and is their any problems with it?
About 6 months and no problems whatsoever. My corydoras, kuhli and yo-yo loaches love to sift through it in search of food and my banjo catfish takes refuge under it during the day. Even my angel fish and rams seem to enjoy taking mouthfuls of it and sifting out anything remotely edible.
Also i want to purchase a spiny eel, will the argos playsand be ABSOLUTELY safe? To both this and my other fish
Yep, as is the B&Q playsand. Tesco's also sell safe playsand sometimes.

i had gravel before, but at the weekend swapped to sand and the corys seem to love it. I managed to get some black sand which looks really nice with the slate and bogwood i have, the sand cost me £11.99 for 8kg from pets at home and has given me a nice layer in my 3ftx1ft tank. they also do other colours in the sand. The other thing is they said to rinse it so i did and it was brilliantly clean, there was no dust or bits at all and didnt really need a rinse but i did anyway, it has kept the water crystal clear and even when it comes to water changes doesnt stir up too much and doesnt make the water cloudy then either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back