Platy jumped out of tank, still alive, HELP!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FerrisWorld

Reaction score
I just came down stairs and found one of my platies on the floor. It was barely alive and when I put it in the tank it didn't move. It's still breathing, and it's breathing has gotten better it seems like, but it's still lying on it's side and not moving, except for it's gills and it's mouth.

Well hopefully nothing is wrong internally if so then that's not good.... however he's probably extremely stressed at the moment. So just let him rest for a while hopefully he will start swimming soon and then you can give him some livefood to cheer him up ;)

Woah! Do you have a hood on the tank? If not you should get one :/

Springy platy lmao. Don't worry, he is scared/in shock. Think of it as falling into a pool when you can't swim. Lucky you found him in time.

Well it's been about 12 hours now. He's still alive and breathing, and he's wiggling a little. It looks like he only has the use of his left front fin by his head, except for the occasional wiggling. Should I just have him put down, like, do the euthanasia. He does seem slightly better, but who knows, maybe I found him too late. You'd think he would be swimming again after 12 hours. Maybe not.

It's better, in my opinion, to not terminate a fish who isn't contagious to the whole tank. See how he does in another day, if he still hasn't improved AT ALL than you can consider terminating the fish :-(

Well it didn't make it. It hung on for 2 days, but finally it died. I can't really put a hood on my thing cuz it's not a tank. I have a 20 gallon tank, but it has guppies. My platies are in this planter that must be like 35 gallons, and you can only see in from the top. I like this better in a way. It's like an indoor pond, though not huge, and since they can't see out, the fish don't go around trying to swim through the glass like they do in tanks. Anyway, I've put up screen all the way around the edge and now it looks like something from jurassic park, which is cool. I actually used to have the screen on, but the night the platy jumped out was when I was changing things around and had taken it off.

im sorry for your loss

but on a brighter note i have experianced this with many platys and sword tails

i came to find my 6" female red swordtail on the floor one morning when i first started keeping first and down one side of her was bone dry but was still gasping
i carefully got her of the floor and into the tank along with the 4 other red swords i had at the time
she struggled on
eventually picking up but her fins were completly burned but soon regrew back

i went on to win shows with that female sword and recieved many broods of fry from in in the following years of her life so not all is lost when you do find a fish in that situation just sometimes they can pull through it and moreso than not we all hope they do

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back