Platy Bent Back :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JenLo

Reaction score
Hi all, I noticed one of my platys was missing so I went looking for her in the tank. When I moved one of the decorations she came swimming out all crooked and bent. She looked absolutely fine yesterday, it almost looks as though she somehow got stuck under it.

Well she now has a hunched back and ant swim straight. She is mostly staying at the bottom of the tank, but did come up for food.

I'm not sure what to do for the poor thing :(

All the other fish look fine and the water parameters are all perfect.

Any ideas?

There's probably not an awful lot you can do, tbh.

Might be a good idea to separate her, if at possible.

I don't have a spare tank unfortunately. I have a spare filter and a bucket, but I feel like I would just stress it more by moving it. The other fish are leaving it alone.

I had a guppy like that long time ago. An angel fish tried eating it when it was a fry. Grew to a large adult. No idea if it suffered or noy but it ate like the rest of them.

I know when my female guppies got old their backs started to bend.  Do you know how old she is?

I only got her a few months ago. It's quite dramatically bent, from being totally fine a few hours ago. She's now hiding in the corner looking sorry for herself :(.

This is my first tropical tank, I've only had it for 6 months or so. Why?

Managed to take a pic of it:

Here it is:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 281
sometimes when the give birth they may look crooked.  A few of my females were, but yours seems to be sick.  Are her fins always clamped?

I noticed they were in the last day or two. Another platy has clamped fins too, and doesn't look great.

I have two other platties that are fine. I introduced four guppies to the tank about 2 weeks ago that I have seen picking on the two sick platies, I wonder if that's the cause?
PS she is still alive this morning, but still at bottom of tank.

I know but it's not, honest! I'm going to try and get my hands on a quarantine tank today, I'm worried it could be fish TB.

There is some chance of that. Even if you can get them into another fish bowl or wide vase. If any of your other fish show symptoms put them in their own away from those females who already have clamped fins.

Most reactions

trending

Back