Plants..

Marto666

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to add some more plants to the tank but not sure what type I should consider. I would like a something that the fish could hide in preferably.

I did have some reed type vegetation before but my Flying Fox’s slowly shredded them down to nothing so the plants would need to be something that won’t be devoured or destroyed.

Thanks

Generally, Java moss and Anubias are more difficult to destroy than most other plants, but Java moss would still get shredded.

What's the tank volume? How many Watt's are the lights rated at? And what type of tubes are they? (T8, T5, Compact?)

Anubia types is the best for this ( no matter what size is your tank or what light you use. )

Anubia types is the best for this ( no matter what size is your tank or what light you use. )
With too much light and a lack of nutrients the Anubias will become deficient and die, hence why these questions are asked, so lighting periods can be suggested.

Ok thanks.

I don’t know what bulbs I have but I have 4 of them, I guess I should find this out before looking further? I didn’t realise that would make a difference. I would imagine they are not too powerful. The tank is 350L.

What are Anubia types of plant?

Anubias is a genus under which there are many species of broad leaved, rigid plants with waxy leaves, if you look at the lighting tubes somewhere on them should be some printed writing, can you post this info please? If there isn't any printed information can you measure the length of the tubes and measure the diameter?

Other rigid plants include Microsorum pteropus, Echinodorus spp and Cryptocoryne's.

Thanks standby

Unfortunately I’m currently away from home but when I return I shall get this info for you later today. I thought they were just normal florescent tubes you may find in kitchen lights etc, I had no idea there are different lights for plants.

I also have sand substrate if this makes any difference?

How do you go about planting successfully? I found it difficult reaching into the tank and trying to ‘pot’ them without the plant becoming unburied even when they did come in ceramic rings to weigh them down.

They are fluorescent tubes, it's just how powerful they are that we're concerned about, colour temperature etc is irrelevant, unless they're actinic's which I doubt they are.

Sand is fine, to plant you should take them out of the pots, remove the mineral wool, and separate out individual plants, plants such as Anubias should be super glued to rocks or wood, the same applies for Microsorum, the Echinodorus could be supier glued to the wood or rocks, or it can be placed in the substrate, the same applies to the Anubias but the Rhizome must stay above the substrate level otherwise it will rot and kill the plant.

There’s my first mistake from my original plants, I had left them in the pots still in the mineral wool. I did ask the LFS worker how to plant them but they obviously didn’t have a clue.

A plant I current have has a leaf going brown – should I prune this to avoid it rotting the rest of the plant?

Thanks

It could be one of a number of things, my guess is a nutrient deficiency, but I wont be able to tell you until I have info about the lighting.

My lights are T8 30w floglow 96cm, does this make sense? thanks

Sorry to butt in, standby - is there any ingredients you should watch out for when using superglue?

Most reactions

Back