PLANTS what plants

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nuttyfishgirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i had 9 beautiful living plants in my tank however, i now have 4 ... my fish ate the rest, they seem to dislike the taste of the ones that are left as they appear to be totally untouched. is there a reason for this ???
ie any reason for them to totally devour some plants and leave some untouched ???

Fish do not like the taste of some plants. Most fish will not eat javafern. My silver dollars won't eat Bronze wentii. Silver dollars are lawn mowers!

What kind of fish? My planted aquarium has small cichlids and angels they nip plants a bit but do not damage them.

My non plant tank has silver dollars and large nasty cichlids and I keep a few Bronze wentii plants in their and they will no touch this plant but will tear up others.

Gourami's are terrible at eating the plants! fast growing plants and some sunlight or the right lighting might help. Like Milfoil. Cheers, Xan

My Gourami made short order of some water sprite. He nibbled it at its base till every last stalk floated up to the surface and then he used them to build a nest. He has left my amazons alone though; guess they're more than he can handle.

Don't you hate it when your fish turn their attention to the plants? It's irritating. Yeah some plants just don't taste good to fish, so they won't eat them.

swampcat said:
Silver dollars are lawn mowers!
NO DOUBT they are haha. We're in the process of going to the store to buy new plants ever other week bc these dollas are gnawing on them so much!

Off the top my head (im blank on some names at the moment--) we keep banana plants in there and noticed they wont eat these. and the plants are killer cool, so it works out.
I created a system when we do water changes, to switch the plants into our other tank to regrow themselves. we let the silvers munch till barely anything is left and then switch them to another tank to let the plants regrow.
aside from that,we also supplement their diet with veggies so they wont tear up the plants so much.
its fun to introduce new plants to see if its tasty to them :)

I have reg silver dollars and red hooks they will not touch bronze wentii and java ferns everything else is salad mix to them !!! Have you tried cucumber, they love them.

Most reactions

Back