Plants Type And Care

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TNW

Reaction score
I've never been much up on caring for plants, the most care I've really done is to add a nitrate free plant suppliment and to scoop out any damn snails in the tank! :shifty:

The plants attached are in a fairly new setup. What's I like to know is:
- What plants they are
- If they're 100% aquatic or if I've been ripped off!

The pictures are kind of crappy so I'll try and describe them (in clockwise)
- A short plant, looks like spinach
- Has rough-looking leaves, and roots hanging down from some of them
- Very rigid plant, is actually starting to grow above the water surface
- Kind of looks like seaweed, very soft looking leaves
- A lace-plant with a net-like leaf. I got it for free (I was given it as a cast-off, and now it's grown two new leaves and looks wonderful! B) )

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• plants.jpg
    plants.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 71
Not 100% on the plant IDs: First one is an echinodorus species, (Amazon sword) then a java fern, which needs to be attached to rock or wood not planted in the substrate. Third with the fish is Hygrophila corymbosa. Second row both aponogeton, first the lace plant is A. madagascariensis not sure of the other one. The amazon sword and the aponogeton are heavy root feeders so some root tabs would do them good.
Further info available on www.tropica.com

Thank you very much for your reply Liam. :) I'm reading up on these plants now, and apparently the Hygrophila corymbosa will grow flowers if I don't prune it! One of them is already sticking out of the water (I'm sure it's grown an inch in the last 24 hours!) so I'm going to leave it be and see how it goes, while pruning the others (I have four bunches).
I didn't realise the other one was Java fern! I'll elastic band it to a rock a.s.a.p. :) Always wanted a plant that attaches itself to surfaces. I'll get some root tabs on my next visit, too! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back