plants don't look happy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gaya

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I recently switched to sand and my plants don't seem to doing well. I have wisteria, swords, ect. I have a weird black and brown fuzz growing on them. A few have yellow leaves. Should I get root tablets? I don't use CO2. What should I do?

Give us more info on tank size, lighting etc. so we can help furthur.

Your "brown fuzz" sounds like beard algae, this has many causes but will be due to an inbalance somewhere i.e. too much lighting, high nitrates/phosphates, too much liquid fertiliser, not enough plant growth etc. Siamese Algae Eaters will have a limited effect but you're better getting to the cause of the algae than treating the symptom.

If your sand plain then your Swords are unlikely to be getting enough nutrients through their roots, root tabs will help. Long-term though sand will compact and cause all sorts of problems unless it's regularly maintained.

HTH

They are two 10g tanks. One has 2 20 watt lights and the other has 1 20watt and a 10 watt light. I usually don't used fertilizer at all. Beard algae sound about right. It looks like a beard. hmmm, what plants would be ok in sand?
thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back