Plants And Oscars?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sammi&RyanMitch92

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have two Oscars in my 75g tank. (yes, I know bigger tank when they get bigger. plan on getting a 150g+ after my move)  So I have a pebble bottom and three giant pieces of slate as decoration.  I have three marimos, The Oscars don't bother those at all. I was wondering if like a java moss wall would be cool to put in or maybe some suggested floating plants? Ive read that Oscars like to up root plants..so Im open to suggestions...I want an all natural tank..no plastic or any fake décor..Just looking for some suggestions...because honestly right now its quite boring. oh! also...if I could put plants in...Red Cherry Shrimp an option? or just Oscar food? lol

i imagine the oscars would eat just about anything that can fit in their mouth unfortunately 
sad.png

if it fits into their mouth they'll have a go at it.
for plants you can do amazon swords and any plants that will have a nice root structure on it. but make sure that you have proper lighting.
i'm not 100% sure on how they will treat plants, some say they just tear them up and there isn't a point.
but what you can do is when you get the 150, keep the tank you have now set up at your new place.. then get your 150 tank planted.. wait around a month before adding in the fish to make sure that the water is safe etc etc.. and that the plants have rooted.

i would recommend doing a dirt substrate with medium-small gravel to cap it. but i haven't kept Oscars and don't know if they will make a huge mess... with dirt and all.. but the only thing with dirt is that your plants will flourish and you'll save on adding ferts to the tank. so with the dirt it is 50-50, if they like to move gravel in the tank that you have now then forget about it, and just set up the 150 before adding them in would be my recommendation if you still want to wait.. then you have more time for planning etc which is always a bonus :D

Oscars tend to stay in the upper-mid strata of the tank. Low-growers and feathery-leaved plants seem to be ignored by them. Careful with adding floating plants like water hyacinths and lettuce as they tend to jump a lot and may use those as leverage and hurt themselves if they hit on something.

i have to say, my oscar's destroyed every plant I've tried putting in with him; even Java fern and anubias got shredded within a day.

fluttermoth said:
i have to say, my oscar's destroyed every plant I've tried putting in with him; even Java fern and anubias got shredded within a day.
Haha you've got the mean oscars then. I noticed they hate plants with sharp, solid, edgy silhouettes as those probably distract them from swimming and decide they wanna ravage something lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back