Planted tank attempt

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

.Craig.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

newly rescaped 125l tank of which I have some plant questions. will give you guys a heads up of plant stock + my fishy’s. (Rescape only done a few days ago still need to move some Anubias & it’s a fully cycled tank)

2 honey gourami (m&f)
1 dwarf gourami (M)
15 cardinals
9 harlequin rasboras
4 ottos
4 corrys , false duplicate possibly??
few amanos, unknown cherry shrimp amount
3 nerites

plants

Anubias - nana, nana mini, nana gold, bonsai
bucephalandra - wavy green, kedagang
crypt- parva, albida brown,petchii , BeckettI
java fern- standard, narrow leaf & trident (arriving tomorrow)
java moss
Bolbitus heudelotii
vallisneria nana
Rotala orange juice

it’s a fine gravel substrate with root tabs for crypts and Vallisneria and using tropica liquid ferts. Also running 2 fluval U3 filters and fluval aquasky light(on for 8 hrs/day)

Have some questions about the bolbitus As I have never used it before does it die back when adding to new aquarium is that common? its rhizomes are attached to rocks like anubias & buc or could of it been grown out of water? Should of I cut old growth off? Will keep progress on tank in the future. some pics as of now & looking forward to it all growing in the background.

needs some plants re attached
C85447B3-B81A-4DC0-8E41-8283AF611D36.jpeg

Rock holding down the wood
E55560F9-01FC-4541-8609-41E5AFDCA985.jpeg

71894AA6-3075-432B-AED8-0F9EDC92AE06.jpeg

Wilting bolbitus
3BE9DC2A-AC91-46AF-B2B2-C7895CF8DBC2.jpeg

Cory id?
08A52D86-7F17-44F4-A3A4-C85EC0138F77.jpeg

Have some questions about the bolbitus As I have never used it before does it die back when adding to new aquarium is that common? its rhizomes are attached to rocks like anubias & buc or could of it been grown out of water? Should of I cut old growth off?
Pics of what you're talking about? How hard is your water? This plant needs to have soft water, so if your water is hard, that may be the issue.

Pics of what you're talking about? How hard is your water? This plant needs to have soft water, so if your water is hard, that may be the issue.
yes pics of that wilting bolbitus. I have soft water here but I will dig out the gh/kh test kit. My ph is 7 @ the moment

Yep could be the fella when I look at pics

It could be Corydoras adolfoi, or it could be C. duplicareus; externally the difference is in the serrations on the pectoral fin spines. C. adolfoi is smooth, while C. duplicareus is lightly serrated. [C. serratus is another similar-looking fish, with a more pronounced serration, hence the name.] I don't know about fish stores in the UK, but in NA almost all "adolfoi" are actually duplicareus which has become popular due to its more intense colouration and pattern; the orange post-orbital fleck is significantly more intense in this species (not fading with age as occurs in C. adolfoi), and the black upper dorsolateral band and black eye band are much broader. The black band is not always the best guide, but from the photo here I would lean toward this being C. duplicareus, but I wouldn't debate it (unless we can see the pectoral spine!).

It could be Corydoras adolfoi, or it could be C. duplicareus; externally the difference is in the serrations on the pectoral fin spines. C. adolfoi is smooth, while C. duplicareus is lightly serrated. [C. serratus is another similar-looking fish, with a more pronounced serration, hence the name.] I don't know about fish stores in the UK, but in NA almost all "adolfoi" are actually duplicareus which has become popular due to its more intense colouration and pattern; the orange post-orbital fleck is significantly more intense in this species (not fading with age as occurs in C. adolfoi), and the black upper dorsolateral band and black eye band are much broader. The black band is not always the best guide, but from the photo here I would lean toward this being C. duplicareus, but I wouldn't debate it (unless we can see the pectoral spine!).
I have had them for a while and the orange has definitely not faded any. I am no expert in corydoras so I can’t say either way. i Will take a more recent pic and post it Tomorrow

Another plant question

i bought these as Java fern trident.(not stuck to rock yet) is it just me or is this plant just look like standard Java fern? I was under the impression that they were supposed to be a mini Java fern…. some of the leaves look very broad. I sent a msg to the seller asking the same question Because I have never owned trident before and wanted it higher in water column but other pics I have seen it doesn’t look that big.

A5B6E1FB-4BB3-4D62-BD90-9AF451147C12.jpeg

in that pic, I have a standard Java fern below it secured to rock.
C3F0F3D9-4722-4CD7-91EB-DD0D38AF6410.jpeg

Another plant question

i bought these as Java fern trident.(not stuck to rock yet) is it just me or is this plant just look like standard Java fern? I was under the impression that they were supposed to be a mini Java fern…. some of the leaves look very broad. I sent a msg to the seller asking the same question Because I have never owned trident before and wanted it higher in water column but other pics I have seen it doesn’t look that big.

View attachment 154148
in that pic, I have a standard Java fern below it secured to rock.
View attachment 154149
That looks like normal java fern to me as well. Trident java fern have a branch look to them with one center leaf growing straight and then other leaves growing off the side of it

Without examining the pectoral fin spine under a magnifying glass or microscope--and I am not suggesting you euthanize the fish to do this--one can't be certain, but I still hold to my previous thinking that this is C. duplicareus.

That looks like normal java fern to me as well. Trident java fern have a branch look to them with one center leaf growing straight and then other leaves growing off the side of it

just took them out the tank. Do look different, but still seem rather large.
311D89F2-3AAE-48FC-9EBD-202681C9D853.jpeg
C7859E0E-E94D-45B2-8201-142E6A8502B3.jpeg
A34C655C-DA53-4493-A7ED-590ED027108F.jpeg

only some of the them are like that and some are straight. Would it be an option to prune and start new smaller growth.

Most reactions

Back