🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

schizo_fish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
the plant i have is similar to this one
wnr206l.jpg

and it has broken and is floating round my tank, could this be because the current caused by my filter is too strong?

Hi!

How big is the tank and how much light do you have? :)
And what filter do you have?

It could have been the filter...or it could have died :sad:

my tank is 39"(h) x 16"(w) x 17"(d) its about 40 gallons (180 litres)
i have two 30watt bulbs
and a fluval 4 filter designed for 130 - 215 litre tanks

im pretty sure the plant is dead now, but im not sure whether the filter caused it or not, as when i bought the plant it was in a pot which i left it in (as it contains good bacteria) and planted it in the gravel but after a day or so the stems broke off and floated away.

Do you happen to know the name of the plant? Also, did you notice a root structure in the pot after the stems had broken off? Looks like the plant could be Cabomba or Limnophila sessiliflora, or potentially hornwort (ceratophyllum demersum). If it's hornwort you could keep it, because it doesn't form a true root structure and will grow either if it's inserted in the substrate or floating. Cambomba is considerably more demanding, and potentially could have died before breaking off (needs more light than 1.5 wpg). Limnophila is a less demanding plant; even if it broke off you might have tried replanting it in the substrate and crossing your fingers.

Was the plant placed directly under the filter outflow? Did it look unhealthy before breaking off? I'm wondering if the plant died first and then broke off, or if it broke off first.

I had one like that in a 15g with 15 watt and I'm pretty sure it wasn't enough light. It tried to put out new shoots and stuff but eventually went light brown and broke up into bits. I eventually pulled it all out and got some low light plants, java moss, vallis and anubias. They do much better. HTH :D

Most reactions

Back