Plant help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone Im thinking of getting low tech plants for my new tank. I just need to know if there is anything I need for example liquid nutrients. I've never kept plants except a moss ball so have no clue. Also would like some suggestions on some easy to keep plants. Might get some moss and java fern :)

I have a low tech tank, and most of my plants are slow growers that are attached to wood.
Java fern - Windelov variety
Anubias - 4 different species
Bolbitis heudeloti
Bucephalandra maia (lots of other types available!)

I also have hornwort both weighted down and stems allowed to float; and water sprite as a floating plants amidst the hornwort stems.

I use a trace element supplement - Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium) at half dose officially once a week but usually when I remember.
I do not use CO2 or any liquid CO2 product. These are not necessary for slow growing plants.

Thanks essjay. I forgot to ask but how deep should the substrate be if I plan on planting anything?

Since none of my plants are rooted in the substrate, I'll leave that question for someone else. But if you do have plants rooted in the substrate you'll need root tablet fertliser.

We should have a look at your tank light. This is the single most important factor with plants. As essjay mentioned, slow growing plants are easiest, and they require the lowest light--I don't mean must have very low lighting, but they will grow with the least light intensity; the faster growing plants need brighter light, and more nutrients in balance.

Another easy plant is the chain sword. I have low to moderate light and this plant will grow well in all of my tanks.

Sand is fine, probably the best substrate as plants will grow well in it (those rooted in the substrate) and all fish will manage with sand (some, like cories, need sand). Even with substrate rooted plants, the sand does not have to be too deep. The chain sword I mentioned will grow well in just an inch of sand depth; the larger swords need 2-3 inches. Your tank size will help us decide which plants are more likely, and thus the sand depth.

Some good plants to try include: Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperm & ruba, Elodia/ Hydrilla, Ludwigia, common Amazon Sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

Water Sprite floats and can be planted in the substrate. The others should be planted in the sand.

Add a basic liquid plant fertiliser for aquarium plants. I like Sera Florena but there are other brands too. :)

Thanks guys :)
My tank is about 55cm in height from the top of the glass to the bottom. It's 62 x 39cm. It comes with LED lighting including moon lighting. How's vallinseria? I've heard they grow quite tall which might make them useful on covering hiding the filter intake.

Thanks guys :)
My tank is about 55cm in height from the top of the glass to the bottom. It's 62 x 39cm. It comes with LED lighting including moon lighting. How's vallinseria? I've heard they grow quite tall which might make them useful on covering hiding the filter intake.

Those dimensions indicate a vertical cube tank. One issue with these is that because light wavelengths weaken considerably as they pass through water the light has to be incredibly bright to penetrate to the tank floor. We will need to know the data on the LED light to assess things.

Vallisneria requires bright light. The "giant" form will grow leaves that are 2 to 3 feet in length, but not everyone has good success with this plant.

One option with vertical cube tanks is to go with an authentic blackwater type aquascape. Lots of branches and chunks of wood, and stay with floating plants and maybe mosses.

I forgot to mention I recently bought a iwagumi aquascape set on eBay. It includes red Moor and grey Mountain rocks. The pictures of it was on a background consisting of 10 x 10cm tiles. It has a few branches where the highest reaches about 55cm high and others about 40 - 30cm. Goes across by about 40cm and 20cm in depth which I think will be perfect for the tank. Its so difficult aquascaping XD. I am thinking of attaching moss on the branches.

I don't know the specifications of the lighting sorry but will have a closer look when the tank gets set up. I'm sure the light would be around 6000 - 6500k in kelvin.

One other question I forgot to ask is how long is it best to keep the lights on?

I forgot to mention I recently bought a iwagumi aquascape set on eBay. It includes red Moor and grey Mountain rocks. The pictures of it was on a background consisting of 10 x 10cm tiles. It has a few branches where the highest reaches about 55cm high and others about 40 - 30cm. Goes across by about 40cm and 20cm in depth which I think will be perfect for the tank. Its so difficult aquascaping XD. I am thinking of attaching moss on the branches.

I don't know the specifications of the lighting sorry but will have a closer look when the tank gets set up. I'm sure the light would be around 6000 - 6500k in kelvin.

One other question I forgot to ask is how long is it best to keep the lights on?

With vertical tanks something like you mention here is good. Providing light bright enough to have lower plants can cause issues for the fish (I'll come back to this when answering your question on light period) and a plantless-lower section solves this. Floating plants should do fine. Kelvin around 6000-6500K is about the best light for aquatic plants. Not all LED is this good, much of it is high in blue with little to no red, and red is essential to drive photosynthesis.

Light duration is up to you. You need a period of several hours of total blackness each 24 hour period, meaning no tank light and no room light. The "daylight" being when the tank light is on can be what you like but generally no less than six hours and no more than 8 to 10 hours. It must be consistent each day, so a timer is best for this. Fish like all animals have an internal "clock" called the circadian rhythm, and they expect daylight/darkness; even blind fish react to darkness, which shows that light has more of an impact than just via the eyes. Every cell is light sensitive (humans have this too, which explains jet lag). With fish it takes them much longer to adjust, so keeping it the same each day will be better.

The light photoperiod is often determined by algae. In planted tanks you want sufficient light to balance the nutrients so plants use both and algae is disadvantaged; as soon as light becomes longer, or more intense than the nutrient supply, or nutrients are too much or too few, algae has the advantage. This and this alone is what causes "problem" algae in planted tanks. In the absence of plants, algae is beneficial much like plants in using nutrients and producing oxygen, though in much smaller proportions.

Forest fish tend to prefer dim lighting to bright; in their habitat some fish never see direct sunlight, and others that live in rivers exposed to sun tend to remain under floating plants, along the banks under the cover of marginal vegetation, etc. So less intense light, plus floating plants, can provide the ideal habitat.

Vallisneria (aka Vallis) comes in a number of varieties ranging from Giant Vallis (mentioned by Byron), to narrow Vallis and twisted Vallis. The narrow Vallis is the easiest to grow.

I have a question to do with the red Moor and mountain rocks set I bought. Do I need to soak the wood or is it okay to do that when setting up the tank? Does red Moor leach any colour?

Most people put driftwood into a clean bucket of water and leave it there until it sinks. Then they put it in their tank. It's a good idea to change the water in the bucket each day while the wood is soaking.

Driftwood releases tannins (brown staining) into the water and soaking or boiling the wood can reduce the amount that gets leached into the tank. Tannins are harmless to fish and many fish naturally occur in water with tannins. However, it does make it harder to see the fish. If it gets too hard to see the fish just do some big (75%) water changes to dilute the tannins in the water.

--------------------
I don't know what the red moor or mountain rocks are. If you post a picture of them we will have more idea.
If you bought the rocks from a pet shop then they should be safe and you will only need to rinse them and put them in the tank.

Most reactions

Back