Piranha Rubbing Against Gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smithy387

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a 14.5" Peru Rhom (Black Piranha) on the 18th July and added him to my Juwel Vision 450 that night.
I done a fishless cycle on my tank before i added him using household Ammonia from homebase.
On Sat 25 July when i tested the water the Ammonia reading was 1.0ppm so i done around a 40% water change and when i tested the water on Sunday the Ammonia was between 0.50ppm and 1.0ppm so i done another water change on Sunday then i done another water change on Monday afternoon and my Ammonia reading last night was 0.25ppm.
I am at work just now so i have'nt tested the water today, i'll test the water this afternoon when i get home.
I have checked for any uneaten food there was none, i have also vacuumed the gravel. I have only fed him 3 times since i got him and i've not fed him since i got a reading of Ammonia.
When i started my fishless cycle it never really did get started because my pH was so low and when i asked for help on this forum i was advised to add bicarbonate of soda to raise my pH during the cycle which i done. However after the big water change when my cycle was finished the pH level in my tank has been dropping and now is currently pH=6.0 which it is has been at for a few days (although it could be lower, that is the lowest reading on the chart card) i don't have any bogwood or peat in the tank and from what i have been reading the beneficial bacteria can start to die off when the pH gets this low and i am starting to get worried because the fish is trying to rub himself on the gravel and i believe this is because i have an Ammonia reading?
My KH test result was KH=3 and my GH test result was GH=4
Last night i added a small bag of crushed coral into my internal filter as it is the only thing i can think of to raise my pH
I have an FX5 filter along with the internal Juwel filter.
I use API stress coat as my dechlorinator.
I have also tested the pH of tap water after letting it sit for half an hour and the reading was pH=6.0
My other test results were - Nitrite 0ppm - Nitrate 20ppm
Is there anything else i can do to help the fish? or help my tank?
Sorry for the big write up but i wanted to give as much information as possible.

Thanks

Edit: Test results this afternoon were - Ammonia 0.25ppm - Nitrite 0ppm - Nitrate 10ppm - pH=6.0 - KH=3 - GH=4
I'm off to do another water change.

Hi Smithy.

Change your water conditioner from stresscoat to Seachem Prime. It neutralises ammonia and nitrite. Bit of a cop out but it works.

Thanks for the reply glolite.

I actually have a bottle of prime which i have had for about 2-3 years. I can't find a expiry date on the bottle, do you reckon it will be ok to use?

Normally meds and conditioners get weaker the older they get. It wouldn;t hurt to give it a go.
Just add the recommended dose per gallon or litre for the amount of your last water change. You can't overdose it according to the bottle but I wouldn't dose the whole quantity of water in the tank just yet, you can always add more if needed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back