What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

KINGshinobi

Reaction score
wa4j1z.jpg
 ​
Hi guys my name is kingshinobi. I have a 400liter/105gallon piranha aquarium with four 15year​
old redbelly Piranha in it.​
 ​
I made some videos of it to share with you.​
 ​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPeCDerA4c&list=UUdLMWRcDb6b1gJrYXWK95Zg&index=2​
 ​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39yvxjhokqo&list=UUdLMWRcDb6b1gJrYXWK95Zg​
 ​
Have fun and enjoy comments welcome. 
yes.gif
 ​
oo4k2.jpg

very nice tank.....

i have had many red belly tanks in the past, but not in many years

they are fun fish to grow and watch when given the right environment

He,he, just like in the movies.
Very nice tank for piranhas

You certainly wouldn't want to put your hands in there!

I imagine replanting must be a nightmare :D

I love the set up too.

well yes it scared the hell out of me at some moments also they generally swim aside and have never attacked me in 15years. I still dont like it when i have my arm deep in there and they come over, i pull it back out instandly. :)

So how old are the ones in your tank?
How big is your tank?
They must create so much mess?

KINGshinobi said:
I still dont like it when i have my arm deep in there and they come over, i pull it back out instandly.
smile.png
You put your arm in there?! 
blink.png

I'm afraid I'd be getting a couple of long pairs of pincettes! 

Looks great btw, as great as fish that are as scary as hell can look :p

Joshwainwright said:
You put your arm in there?! 
blink.png

I'm afraid I'd be getting a couple of long pairs of pincettes! 

Looks great btw, as great as fish that are as scary as hell can look
tongue2.gif

red bellies are more afraid of you, than you are of them, when you put your hand in the tank they all scatter and run for cover....the only time you are likely to be bitten is if you corner them....

however, other piranha species are likely to attack you, such as black piranhas

to answer another question....yes piranhas make a mess of the tank, you are constantly picking out leftover food and replanting plants, rearranging ornaments etc etc etc....they are like bulls in a china store, thats one part of keeping them i do not miss

Well yes they make alot mess or more well alot algea forms up from tiny meat particle or blood, wich i clean out weekly. Its right they dont attack you mainly but those 15years old, them very used to me yet and very territorial , the alpha male for example doesnt even swim aside when i open the plate over his territory. I have to push him with a stick a bit to move to the other side and he constandly comes back looking what i do over there and how his territory looks like. He also rips out alot plants if i place them there. Also when i feed them only with meat or fish like for a while they get pretty used to that and when i move to the tank they think i feed them so you better make very clear you dont feed them b4 you put your hands in there. I lost a few casher with that yet wich they instandly attacked when they touched the watersurface. Them pretty greedy when it comes to food. Every Piranha wants to get the biggest piece of it specially fish or meat when i only fed them sticks b4 a while. Thats why they then instandly attack anything i drop in there without even see what it is sometimes. When you see what chunks they can rip out of some with no problem at all and how strong that fish are you kind of get the right respect to handel them. I never trust it when they come at my hand i pull it out fast to avoid any accidents.

They are good looking fish though. I see why people keep them and your tank is a bit more friendly looking compared to other piranha tanks but I can never be that careful where I put my hands :)

That's gotta be one of the most nightmarish things I ever seen. :) the whole time I was watching these were the thought going through my head:
Cleaning must be a pain.
How often do they need feeding?
Does their movement ever cause the tank spills? I saw some major waves created by their massive tails.
Do they come from the amazon?
Would they ever come into contact with neon tetras?
Would they ever see neon tetras?
If the answer to the last 3 questions is yes.....
I'm worried

They have spalshed some water out of the tank side view times yet but well not much. Cleaning is a pain specially if you give them meat fish or even alive food, but its worth it to give them some to hunt or meaty rather then just sticks all time. Cause i see it like this  ,i got the fish not other way round so i take care of them and give them a all kind of stuff they would get in nature 2. 

Well time of feeding depends of what you feed  sticks you can give them like a few daylie , if you feed bigger stuff like fish or meat you might not need to feed for 3 days. If them hungry you will notice it they follow any move you make then asuming you give them some , they also get aggressive and fight  with each other a bit harder then regular if them to hungry. Like short temper then so its vital to feed them in time.

They come from  the amazon.

Neons i havent ever put in there , if i do i know what would happen. They pretty much chase them down by any cost through the tank ripping all plants out and pulling all stones to the side. I had a population of guppys in there few times , since i have another smaller 60 liter tank in wich i kept guppys and other snacks
smile.png
Any way i put the fresh born guppys in the piranha tank cause they didnt see them at all but after a certain size ,and alot made it to adult age, they ended up as a snack sooner or later. But those was the ruffest guppys you ever seen smart and getting real used to the tank and piranha. They studied any move or mood of them. Matter of fact yet all animals i ever put in there (alot wasnt ment as a snack) they catched and ate over time. At the moment i have 4 young wels in there and 3 bigger snails runner snails i think them called. Well snails they dont eat they spit them back out if they accidently do. I guess they think its a stone from the structure or feeling. That wels i hope survive long with the latest set up of the tank i gave them the root to hide with mass plants around it wich so far works well. I will soon order another varriaty of 20-30 snails , they do a very well job at eating algea and rests of food.

What do you feed as live food? Surely you can't feed street-smart guppys each time :p

Well over 15 years i gave them all kind of stuff.  I feed fish once a while really any type i get cheap like goldfish. I also put some random stuff in, that i catched in rivers or lakes. We have a dead channel here, wich is full of fish like to millions at the sides when it gets warmer so it wont really hurt nature i guess, to take a few. The names are: Silverlings, red feather, redeyes, graskarpfen, forelle, stichling. I live in germany tho if you wonder bout that names, not sure if i got them all right translated. I also have a breeding store for outdoor lake- and riverfish near my house where i got alot fish for good prices. But well they also ate frogs , mice, craps ,catfish, sunbarsh yet. And well frogs or mice is to much of a mess and well it can end up pretty cruel if them not hungry so i dont do that anymore. Also i never give them anything alive if them not hungry. I make sure to not feed them at least 3 days and then put it in so it mostly takes like 5-10seconds untill the animal is complete eaten.

Edit: Oh that reminds me i also raised some breeds of them yet. The small redbellys i fed with living maggets from a fishing store. That looks hell cute when them like fingernail size with big eyes. At that time they really eat more then they possible can. Its one of the most funny things i ever seen. They end up laying on the ground with half a magget sticking out the mouth digesting it yet but they wont let go of it. Also the tiny larvas i fed with brine shrimps, its the only thing they eat. Most piranha keeper dont know that so the larvas die once they hatch and used the yolt sack if the parents didnt eat them. I put them in a seperate tank and raised them there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back