Pimafix/melafix For Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TammyLiz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am treating my quarantine tank for columnaris and have been using melafix and pimafix together just to make sure. Started treatment yesterday. Now they have ich. Will the pimafix and melafix get rid of that, too or do I need to add some malachite green/formalin (which is what I would normally do for ich)? Or should I stop the pimafix and melafix and just do malachite green/fomaline? I'm just not familiar with what meds to mix, and the bottles don't say they treat ich.
Tank stats:
10 gallon tank (quarantine)
6 diamond tetras
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
pH 7.5

Thanks!

In my experience, melafix and primafix will not treat columaris. You will have much more luck with an antibiotic such as maracyn, eythromyacin, tetracycline, or kanamyacin. When you add the antibioitcs, increaseing the temperatue will help the antibioitics work faster.

Melafix and primafix wont work against ich either. You are going to need a seperate med for that. Luckily, ich is also treated at higher temperatures. Since you are using two meds at once, you should increase the airation in the tank to help with oxygen, as meds and higher temps will decrease the oxygen. Adding salt may also be beneficial

The columnaris looks much better than it was before, but I do want to make sure I totally get rid of it. Have you experienced pimafix working partially and then the comumnaris coming back? If so I will switch to maracyn because that is easiest for me to get of those antibiotics you mentioned. I don't want to spend the money if the pimafix is going to work, though. I will also add some malachite green/formalin for the ich. Thanks for the reply. The whole medication thing is still a little elusive to me. It seems like you can't trust what the bottles say!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back