Picture of my crab

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tetramad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my crab, not sure what species, he does really well in my livebearer tank eating bits of uneaten food and algae wafers. He looks quite big in the pic, but hes only about 2". Does anyone else keep these? what do you feed them?

Mark.

Crab.jpg

Sesarma bidens, aka Red clawed crab. I kept a few of these in my brackish set up for a while till one of my morays ate them.

They will eat small fish if they can catch them and are natural escape artists so make sure the tank is well covered with no gaps in the hood.
They will eat anything but have a prefference for algea tablets and cafish pellets.

suppose that figures, red claws and all !!!. I think hes too slow to catch stuff, I have seen fry and young fish `peck` at him and he doesn`t give a toss, just carries on his daily routine. He likes to move the gravel around one piece at at time, he is very patient !!

Mark.

Hi, I have a Red Crab, he is lovely. Never picked him up because he looks to much like a spider for my liking.
I feed him on ground bate that my hubby uses for carp fishing, he also eats cucumber. If he can find it on the floor then he will eat it. Its so funny to watch them carry big bits of food into there hinding holes.
Mine got into my breading tank where i had 6 beautiful, healthy baby guppies, which he had one of. He has also had a number of fish from the tank.
We introduced a silver shark today, who is about 6'' long, and my crab caught his tail and wouldnt let my shark go. It was funny to see it, but it also upset me to see my shark like that. poor thing.
He also sheded his skin a few weeks ago, I thought he had died. :sad:
But now he is bigger than ever and more amaising.
I hope you enjoy keeping your crab as much as i have.
Dawney
xx

As stated before....keep you tank covered and make sure he can't possibly crawl/climb out....because if he can he is going to. I've had a couple and from my experience they didn't like being submerged that deep. The whole time I had them all they wanted to do was try and climb out....and they all did one way or another.

If yours seems happy then you are lucky!! Have fun with him (and keep him from small fish)!!

David

Do the crabs need to be in open air or can they be left underwater 24/7.

I have one of those small red ones and its always either on top of the filter or the top part of the heater. Im guessing it probably needs to come out of the water once in a while.. :)

Hi - I have four of these in my peaceful community tank, and they haven't read the books that say that they can catch fish!
I also have shrimp (cherry and amano) and these shrimp actually sit on top of the crabs, picking off bits of algae and microscopic bits. The shrimp have actually stolen food from the crabs before now.

The only time I have seen a crab slightly miffed was when a Bronze Cory bumped into him. The crab scuttled sideways towards the Cory, trying to ninja kick him with his side legs, not his main claws! Those side legs are very sharp and pointy, but so far not one shrimp or fish has been 'got at'. But, having said that, there are some people on the forum whose crabs are obviously more 'normal'!

My crabs like to be out of the water if possible, so should have the choice of being able to get out if they wish. I have a large piece of bogwood that comes out of the water, and they are often seen basking on that.

Yeah, mine likes to get out the water too, he sits on the heater dial which is mounted vertically and just pokes out the water, or on top of the power head. I did actually see him try and catch my albino Cory today but the fish are just too fast, he missed it by miles and I would`t say Cory`s were exactly bright;-)

Mark.

your red claw crab looks really well the more colour in the claws the healthier it is.I can also tell thsat he is male since he has two large claws were females have small with one oftern slightly bigger than the other.

i also have a question, I have two devloped tanks with small comunity fish .One tank has a red claw crab in it, i am thinking of getting a giant african filter shrimp and i want to put him in with some other shrimp into my bigger tank but it has my red claw crab in it. Will they be alright together or should i put one or the other in my much smaller tank .

can anyone help? i dont know too much about the giant african filter shrimp except that they get BIG

My red claw crab does the same it clims up the plants and sits in the filter or on top of the heater but always comes down and sits in his piece of wood. When i first put him in 6 months ago he defended himself when my curious fish come too close .but he hasnt trying to eat them and now they all get along. The red claw less aggressive and fitted to a comunity than fiddler or rainbow crabs so they make really cool tank mates, but they leave a lot of waste.

Your crabs don't leave the tank area? Mine did and the name fiddler crab sounds familiar.....maybe that's what I had? I don't know.

But the last time I had one I was living with roommates. My crab had escaped the tank (for who knows how long) and had been crawling around and living in the house. One of my roommates found him when he came crawling out from behind the couch.....I heard a SCREAM, "Come get your crab!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was the last crab I owned. If I knew they would stay around the tank I would have another one.

can you get glow light tetras in blue because i got 5 4 were red and one was blue, does anyone now what fish this is ?

IMG_02781.jpg

Most reactions

Back